Farewell to Neo?

24 Posts
17 Users
112 Likes
Graeme Ogg
(@graeme-ogg)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I mentioned a few weeks ago that Model Car World seemed to have dropped Neo models from their website (they’re still not back) and I wondered whether the brand was being allowed to quietly die. Someone responded with the news that, rather bizarrely, the boss of MCW was now more interested in selling toy building bricks, but apart from that there was a deafening silence on the Forum.

Maybe I’m behind the curve here and maybe everybody else has just assumed that Neo was on the way out (either because of production difficulties, poor sales, customer complaints or managerial disputes – one can only guess). Nevertheless, there have been so many column inches dedicated to Neo on this Forum over the years – both praise and criticism -  that I was still surprised that there were no more comments or laments on their possible demise. Still not certain, of course, but it’s looking that way.

I am the happy owner of a fair number of terrific Neo models. On a good day – of which they had many – their products were gorgeous, accurate and finely detailed and for several years they set the benchmark for resin models. So as a collector, I think that it would be unkind and a bit of a shame if they were remembered only for producing the occasional “banana”.

Of course, for a wannabe cartoonist with a penchant for the facetious, it’s another matter altogether. I felt a suitable requiem was called for  - or to put it another way, I was a bit bored during the long Queen’s Jubilee weekend and found a way of amusing myself (and maybe nobody else, but that’s life).

Neo 01

Neo 02

Neo 03

Neo 04

Neo 05
This topic was modified 2 years ago by Graeme Ogg

Graeme.M. Ogg
London U.K.

David H, Randy Rusk, Ben Lampson and 23 people reacted
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Famed Member Admin

Hilarious! I think you're correct, Graeme, Neo seems to be phasing out. Perhaps the lack of commentary is due to their spotty quality and lack of new product in recent times. While they were trend setters early on, they seem to have been eclipsed by folks like Goldvarg, Matrix, GLM, et al. 

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

Jack Dodds, Karl Schnelle, Jack Dodds and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
100Ford2003
(@100ford2003)
Illustrious Member

Thank-you Graeme for a very funny Sunday morning post ! 

Steve 

SoCal, USA

ReplyQuote
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member

I have 10 or so of their Alfas - was impressed with their selections and quality - no red banana Alfas, though!  Luckily.  Nothing new for more than 5 years... 🙁 

@jkuvakas - We need more 'like' icons (like on Facebook)  laugh, cry, etc!  I 😫 over Neo's assumed demise but 😆 at Graeme's 'artwork'!

Harv Goranson, Jack Dodds, Harv Goranson and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member

Neo Afa 2600 SZ
Neo Alfasud wagon
Neo Alfa 1900CSS Touring
Neo Giulia wagon
NEO Alfetta
Neo red Alfa Giulietta

David H, 100Ford2003, Frank Reed and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

Here's just a few of my favorite Neos, as a way of mourning their passing.

Neo NEO43141 Jaguar Mk VIII pic1
Neo NEO43800 MG TD rear
Neo NEO44118 Hurst SSJ
Neo NEO44161 Bentley SIII Continental Cabrio
Neo NEO44478 Manx pic2
Neo NEO44610 Arnolt red
Neo NEO44803 1980 Bonneville pic1
Neo NEO45660 Maserati A6GCS pic1
Neo NEO47275 Sudebaker Champ pic1
Neo NEO47205 Mercedes C111 IV pic4

David H, 100Ford2003, Frank Reed and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Graeme Ogg
(@graeme-ogg)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

And just a random few of mine. Handsome, all of them, and impeccably done.(Well, that strange black border on the Pontiac windshield annoyed a few of us at the time, but hey . . . forgive and forget).

'58 Imperial
AMC Pacer
'59 Pontiac conv
Dodge 59
Chrysler 300F
Pontiac Grand Am
Rambler '58
This post was modified 2 years ago by Graeme Ogg

Graeme.M. Ogg
London U.K.

David H, 100Ford2003, Randy Rusk and 17 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Joop
 Joop
(@joop)
Noble Member

I think I have about 50 Neo-models.

When the were new, one could buy them without checking them.

But that ended, as flaws and crooked models were sold.

After that, I just had to check each and every model.

I was glad I had practically all models I wanted when that came. 

ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

I wonder if associated MCW brands Best of Show and CMF are kaput too? They included a few nice ones.

BoS BOS43076 Caprice Taxi pic1
BoS BOS43305 Chrysler Ghia pic1
BoS BOS43401 Studebaker 1951 pic1
CMF 43025 Detroit Electric pic1
CMF 43045 Bentley Old Mother Gun pic1
CMF 43055 1947 Packard Super Clipper pic3
CMF CMF43020 Duesenberg pic1

David H, Frank Reed, David H and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
JayGolan
(@jaygolan)
Reputable Member

Yes, we have no more bananas, bananas we have no more today.

I've look in at MCW every now and then and it seems their inventory is down overall.

ReplyQuote
Chazy.R
(@chazy-r)
Honorable Member

Great comments and observations. I have a few great ones myself. Thanks 

ReplyQuote
John Quilter
(@john-quilter)
Famed Member

I sure hope I can get my 1952 Chevrolet tin woody in maroon that is, according to my supplier, due at the end of the month.  A while back I was hoping for the 1949 Chrysler New Yorker sedan in blue, a reissue of the black one,  but that one seems not to happen.

What ever happens to the molds for these resin models when a company stops doing business?   Assuming they are not worn out and could be relaunched in a different brand.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

ReplyQuote
Keko Romero
(@keko-romero)
Noble Member

I have a good number of Neo models in my collection. It's a brand I always liked a lot, but since MCW took control over the old property Neo's way was in the wrong direction, under my point of view. There are several years that there are not new casting and from time to time the change color of old models. Also I felt the quality in the models was poorer. Maybe with the arrival of brands like Matrix, GLM, Goldvarg, Kess, Esval, Modelcarworld has lost the interest in Neo. Also, there are several years with no new models from BoS and Whitebox. And CMF recently release a new Imperial limousine. Modelcarworld usually put their Neo models at sales price and their stock is less each time. Seems to be the want to shut down with Neo. A shame. There are several Neo models that are favorites among my whole collection.

Keko Romero Sánchez
Cádiz, Spain
http://kekomovil.blogspot.com

ReplyQuote
Mark Sweeney
(@whodeytink)
Noble Member

Great sense of humor, Graeme.  I miss the variety of NEO.  I have a large number of their models, none with the cursed banana shape.  The void will get filled by Goldvarg, Esval, Stamp, etc.  You sure couldn't beat their occasional sales through.

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

I have a wall full of Neos and think they're great. When they closed their warehouse here in the states is when the selection was cut back until there wasn't new product to buy. When their warehouse was operating here, their customer service was excellent and the shipping was prompt. Love the humor Graeme.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: