From My Collection - A Look Back... Monday 6/27/22

5 Posts
5 Users
36 Likes
John Merritt
(@jcarnutz)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

To look at my 1:43 scale collection, you have to start with this model. I had purchased the FM Classic 50s series models from both sets as well as the 60s set too. They weren't a driving force in my collecting interest, and to be honest, I never paid them a lot of attention. With the eventual end of the 1:24 precision model market, I started to pay more attention to the 1:43 scale offerings. The 1st model to really catch my eye was this little beauty of an Australian Ford. It was announced in 2011 and arrived in early 2012. This model was the 1st 1:43 scale added to my collection in many years, and it opened the door to many more.

1958 Ford Customline "Star" 4dr Sedan - Top Gear/Trax - a LE #1368 of 1710 in Champagne Pink, Pearl Gray & Alpine White

1958 Ford Cstm Line 4dr Sedan 0
1958 Ford Cstm Line 4dr Sedan 1
1958 Ford Cstm Line 4dr Sedan 4
1958 Ford Cstm Line 4dr Sedan 5
1958 Ford Cstm Line 4dr Sedan 6
1958 Ford Cstm Line 4dr Sedan 7

John Merritt
South Lyon, Michigan - USA

Ken Spear, John Kuvakas, Ed Davis and 9 people reacted
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

I like your writeup John. After collecting various scales over the years my current collecting is almost 100% 1/43 scale. Why? Space mostly along with the fact that I am totally out of room for any additional 1/18 and 1/24 scale models. Should I add a model to either of these scales it has to be "instead of" an existing model. I'm no trend setter but I believe there are many collectors who are influenced the same way I am. Years ago I would never have believed that there would be such a variety of models available in 1/43 scale with such detail...it's hard to keep up with all of the offerings in this scale but it sure is fun.

John Merritt, John Kuvakas, Ed Davis and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
David H
(@d-m-holcombe)
Trusted Member

John, I really like the colors used on your fine Australian Ford!  It started me remembering.

I have enjoyed my 1:43 scale cars for years, even though I'm limited in my purchases.  As I have aged, I have found my interest more and more in building models, purely for my own satisfaction, and my purchase of new production completed models has slowed almost to the stopping point.  I enjoy reading of new production, and the Diecast Zone is a source of real enjoyment for me.  I have started selling odds and ends, including a few older 1:43 models, on eBay, but it seems there isn't a lot of market for them.  As for my earliest 1/43 purchases, I think I started with the ERTL products when they were selling for less than $10 each, some 30 of so years ago.  Then I moved into Solidos and discovered Brooklins.  Time flies when we're having fun!

Today's project in process:

IMG 7699

John Merritt, John Kuvakas, Ed Davis and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Ken Spear
(@kenspear)
Noble Member

John: from the front, the Australian 1958 Ford Customline is very similar to the Canadian 1955 Mercury Meteor. Even the side moldings are styled very similar to the Meteor. Some day I am hoping to make a 1955 Mercury Meteor Crown Victoria out of Brooklin's 1955 Mercury Meteor 2 dr post.

Meteor Crown Vic

Harv Goranson, David H, John Merritt and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

@kenspear There have been suggestions on the Brooklin FB page that they make a Meteor. Time will tell.

ReplyQuote
Share: