GLM 1962 and 1963 Studebaker Hawks - a comparison

11 Posts
9 Users
28 Likes
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I wasn't going to buy Tom Dirnberger's latest Hawks, but a discussion in the Holiday Inn bar during the March weekend's activities made me think I should take a second look. So I ended up getting the '63 "Hawk Gran Turismo" in Green Mist to go with my 1962 "Gran Hawk Turismo" Riviera Blue. There are a number of minute differences (besides the curious name switch). 

GLM 165104 Studebaker Hawk Gran Turismo pic1
GLM 165104 Studebaker Hawk Gran Turismo pic2

First, up front. Not only did the main grille change (additional bars) but there was a distinct change to the lower grilles on either side. Turn indicators now round and amber, and the headlight bezels are body color, not chrome. The bumperettes were moved outward too. 

GLM 165004 and 165104 Studebaker Hawks pic1

At the rear the trunk emblem has changed, and the "Studebaker Hawk" silver lettering below the grille now has a black background, instead of the other way around.

GLM 165004 and 165104 Studebaker Hawks pic2

Looking side-by-side, the door script has moved slightly rearward and has a red-white-blue emblem added. Hubcaps have lost the red centers but gained the "S" emblem. And as a sign of the times, whitewalls became much narrower.

GLM 165004 and 165104 Studebaker Hawks pic3

I'm glad I talked to Tom in the bar!

This topic was modified 1 year ago by Harv Goranson

Ed Glorius, Roger Kerr, Karl Schnelle and 4 people reacted
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Illustrious Member

I would've done it too; they look great together. Congrats!

ReplyQuote
John Merritt
(@jcarnutz)
Illustrious Member

As a devoted follower of the GT Hawks from 1962-1964. I was very excited to hear about this model a few months ago and to have seen the photos then as well, it made them a must-have for me. I am pleased that you got one Harv. The differences are enough to make it distinctive, as will the '64 if it gets done. I was very excited about Tom's '54 Chrysler models, but even more so for these. While mine haven't arrive yet, I am waiting patiently for them, LOL!

John Merritt
South Lyon, Michigan - USA

ReplyQuote
Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Illustrious Member

Nice comparison.

Ed Davis
Inverness, Illinois, USA

ReplyQuote
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member

Great color choices!  I love the front of the 62 and the rear of the 63!  🤔 Actually, I had not realized they were so similar until your comparison post - thanks!

ReplyQuote
Ted Weller
(@tedweller)
Honorable Member

I was attempting a comparison of my ‘62 model with photos on this site earlier today of the ‘63 but your comparison is better and more comprehensive! I’ll be ordering soon…..Thank you!

ReplyQuote
Roger Kerr
(@rogerkerr)
Estimable Member

Harv - At first glance I also was not going to go for a '63 but then I took a closer look with a blue '62 in front of me. I like the changes you noted and, I may be wrong but, I also thought the creases defining the hood and doors look a tad deeper and better defined on the '63's so I relented and am awaiting one in Rose Mist.

Roger Kerr

ReplyQuote
Keko Romero
(@keko-romero)
Noble Member

Either 1962 or 1963, I hope GLM release these models for the regular collectors... 

Keko Romero Sánchez
Cádiz, Spain
http://kekomovil.blogspot.com

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

I hope GLM do the '64 as well.  There are enough differences (especially the 2-tone roof) to make it a must have IMO.

ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@jack-dodds Well if Tom does the '64, I'll have to make a trio of them (1962-64).

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @mg-harv

@jack-dodds Well if Tom does the '64, I'll have to make a trio of them (1962-64).

Ditto !

ReplyQuote
Share: