Great Manufacturers from Yesterday... Spot-On models

11 Posts
5 Users
38 Likes
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Spot-On models, was a brand name for a line of diecast toy cars made by Tri-ang from 1959 through about 1967. They were manufactured in 1:42 scale in Belfast, Northern Ireland, of the United Kingdom.

Spot-On models was a range of diecast vehicles from Tri-ang, a division of Lines Brothers, which had been established as a toy maker in 1935. 

In the 1950s,Dinky Toys from Liverpool, had developed a successful range of vehicles and then in 1956 Corgi Toys, made by Mettoy, followed suit.
Not wishing to miss out, Lines Brothers started its own range in 1959 using its factory in Northern Ireland. Using the name Spot-On they chose a uniquely British model selection.

Dinky and Corgi were both a little loose with their scale – typically around 1:48 for cars, but Spot-On decided always to be exactly "spot-on" in 1:42. They models tended to be heavier and better setailed.

In 1964, Lines Bros. acquired Meccano, the parent company of Dinky Toys and, rather than support two brands simultaneously, the owners decided to discontinue Spot-On in favour of Dinky in 1967.

A final range of models were made in New Zealand but only 16 models appear to have made the production line and by 1970 the name and brand Spot On was history.

I collect primarily Jaguars. Here are a few examples of Spot-Ons.

s l1600
289 1
262 1

P1070982
P1070983
P1070989

Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

I have a bunch of these and really like them.  I had around 200 but about 2 thirds were stolen sadly.  My favorites are the Morris 1000, Vauxhall Cresta and the VW bug.

Karl Schnelle, David Green, Karl Schnelle and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@jack-dodds

Hi Jack,

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of a lot of your Spot-Ons. I had the same thing happen with mostly Dinky Toys at the end of a CTCS Toy Show in Toronto years ago. I had been selling and two boxed were taken as we were loading after the show.

I really like Spot-On models. The ones you mention are very nice. I don't have the VW but would like to get one mint if I could. I got most of mine in the late 1960s.

If you have pictures, I'd love to see them.

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

@david-green  David; I have no pics of any of my model collection; which I now suspect is a bit weird compared to many others in this Forum.  I have never been a camera person. About 75% of my collection is packed away and has been for quite some time, which is a great shame.  I know many others have the same house space issues that I currently do.  I plan on moving in about a year and when that is done I will build an awesome display as I will have the time and space to do so.

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@jack-dodds

No problem Jack. Most of mine are boxed away also. I did get cameras and did some binge shooting over the last month. Just lucky that I had a decent camera and lighting.

I look forward to your comments, images or not. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member

That is sad - to have part of your collection stolen.   I have always admired Spot-On since all their cars, trucks, and buses were spot-on 1:42 scale!  If you want to see 100 more photos, goto hobbyDB where I documented many of Robin R's collection.  The other nice thing about them is that they made several colors of each casting.

ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

I have about two dozen Spot-Ons, mostly purchased in the past for the MGs and where there were no other diecast alternatives. A few years ago I sent pics of all mine to Rod Ward for his 36-page history of Spot-On. Also have Graham Thompson's 1983 book on Spot-On toys. I am currently combing through my collection and may turn a few loose on evilbay. Here are the MGs:

Spot On 104 MGA pic1
Spot On 267 MG 1100 pic2
Spot On 279 MG PB
Spot On 281 MG Midget pic4

Karl Schnelle, David Green, Frank Reed and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Charles Rockett
(@charles-rockett)
Reputable Member

For reasons of family moving about, I came to Spot On late in the day (end of the sixties) and had honestly believed, until this post, that they were a late '60s flash-in-the pan, attempt to break into the market!  Thank you everyone for putting me right.  I had a London cab and one or two others, which I cannot recall - but can never forget my Dinky Toys Cadillac Eldorado from the same period!

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@mg-harv

That is a fine selection of MGs Harv. I have the 1100 and the PB but not the other two. Thanks for posting these. I'm curious to know what you might part with.

279 2

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Another Spot-On that I treasure is the No. 215 Daimler SP250 'Dart'.

This came in four colours of which I have the grey and the red. Blue and yellow were also made.

Spot On 215 Daimler pic1
Spot On 215 Daimler pic2

ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

For those interested, see the Facebook group "SPOT-ON models by Tri-ang". I always see some amazing rarities there.

This post was modified 2 years ago by Harv Goranson

ReplyQuote
Share: