It's a Duesey!

13 Posts
7 Users
82 Likes
Randy Rusk
(@randyrusk)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

As many of you are aware, a fine collection of classic Minimarque, Western, Motor City USA, Design Studio, and more white metal models have been listed for auction. One of the first rounds had a number of MM Auburns, Cords, and Duesenbergs - favorites of mine since I live just a short drive from that famous town. Well, I thought I'd give it a go and see if I could score a couple of them. In the end, the bidding was fierce (and well beyond the threshold I set for myself) so I got just one, but it's a beauty.

It's the 1929 Duesenberg Model J Derham Dual Cowl Phaeton (the box label spelled it Durham and Pheaton, oops!). It was the 1989 Car of the Year at the annual ACD Festival, so I'm assuming it must have been made around then. If so, it's pretty amazing to think how advanced Minimarque's details were for that time. It still holds up to some of the best resin models (and Brooklin's current level of detail):

IMG 8379
IMG 8380
IMG 8383
IMG 8381
IMG 8382

Did anyone else on the Forum pick up any of these jewels? I'm especially interested to know who snagged the MM 1932 Auburn 12-160AS Speedster prototype. I really, really wanted that one but someone else really, really, really wanted it more:

auburn
This topic was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Randy Rusk

David Green, Steve Williams, Ed Davis and 13 people reacted
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

Maybe the box spelled Derham wrong too. Anyway, these are from the estate of Wayne Moyer. I was going to bid on the SSJ roadster, but, like the Auburn you mentioned, it went too high. Your Duesey reminds me a lot of this Matrix Walker-La Grande tourer.

Matrix MX40406 052 1929 Duesenberg 2583 pic3

David Green, Ed Davis, Karl Schnelle and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Randy Rusk
(@randyrusk)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

@mg-harv Yes, I like that one and have it in my collection, too. I thought I'd read on the Forum somewhere that they were from Wayne Moyer's collection but I couldn't find the post. Interesting that they're only coming to market almost 4 years after his passing. 

This post was modified 2 years ago by Randy Rusk

Karl Schnelle, John Kuvakas, Ralf and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Ralf
 Ralf
(@ralf)
Honorable Member

Congratulations, Randy, glad that you got it!

I was one of the other bidders, but as I have the top-up version I let it go after all.

The Auburn speedster and cabin speedster are in my collection, so it didn't make sense to bid on the prototypes - my ACD shelves are getting crowded anyway...

ACD
Auburn1
J 1
Big

Ralf Buyer
Wiesbaden, Germany

David Green, Frank Reed, Randy Rusk and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
John Quilter
(@john-quilter)
Famed Member

Wayne Moyer,  the name is very familiar in the modeling world but I can't recall his claim to fame, where he lived, or when he passed on.   I think he wrote articles for various magazines.   What are the details?

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

ReplyQuote
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member

Wayne Moyer was a nice guy - I talked to him a few times at the 1/43rd shows in Chicago a while ago.  I am sorry he passed away and that I did not speak with him more in depth.

See https://www.newcomerdayton.com/Obituary/156150/Wayne-Moyer/Dayton-Ohio for a very nice obituary.

https://www.hobbydb.com/marketplaces/hobbydb/subjects/wayne-moyer-writer

https://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Early-Days-Scale-Modeling/dp/1497305411

David Green, Randy Rusk, Harv Goranson and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Illustrious Member

@randyrusk 

Could you provide some prices or price range for models, which were sold during the auction?  These appear to be nice models, but I have no idea what folks are willing to bid on them at an auction.

Ed Davis
Inverness, Illinois, USA

ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

@ed-davis ebay has a completed items feature you can use. Try Minimarque 1/43 as a search then scroll the left side until you find "Completed Items", then click the box. A bunch should be there.

ReplyQuote
Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Illustrious Member

@mg-harv 

Thanks. I will give it a try.

Ed Davis
Inverness, Illinois, USA

ReplyQuote
Randy Rusk
(@randyrusk)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

@ed-davis Yes, you’ll see that they ran the gamut from a low side of $75 on up to quite a bit higher than that.

Ed Davis, Harv Goranson, Ed Davis and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Randy Rusk
(@randyrusk)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

@ralf Wow, that’s an enviable collection! The Minimarque Cabin Speedster was a holy grail model for me. No sooner did I finally find one at a price I could live with, then GLM comes along with another one in resin (which I also bought, of course).

I had the great fortune, along with Karl, of seeing an otherworldly collection of 1:1 Duesenbergs at the ACD festival a few years back. It was the largest collection of Duesenbergs ever in one location (which makes sense since they were all custom bodied and not lined up in a showroom). They also ran them in a “drag race” style down the airstrip at the DeKalb County airport.

Karl Schnelle, Ed Davis, Karl Schnelle and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member

IMG 4475
IMG 4491
IMG 4478

ACD Festival 2015

David Green, Ed Glorius, Randy Rusk and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Larry kemling