Saab - 1940s thru mid 60s

8 Posts
5 Users
62 Likes
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I realize that for some car people Saab is an acquired taste, but I have always liked them; especially the rather/very unusual looking late 40s thru early 60s models.  Easy to see the Saab aircraft influence isn't it?  I have only ever owned one, a platinum blue (silver- light blue metallic) 1988 900S sedan, which I liked very much; such build quality.  Here are a number of Saabs I bought in recent months, in 1:43.

Black 1947 coupe by Atlas (looks like someone grabbed it by the tail end and squeezed; surprising it...a homely little bugger but irresistible...lol); dark green 1954 coupe, blue 1961 96 wagon and beige 1964 96 coupe...all by Premium X; dark red 1972 99 coupe and black 1969 96 coupe by IXO.

Mike DeTorrice, David Knight, John Quilter and 15 people reacted
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member

What a  Saab story!  I do love those 50-60s Saabs, esp. your blue 96 wagon!  Have you seen the Saabs from contemporary times from Tekno Denmark?  They were all over their streets at the time being so close to Sweden. 93 - 96 - 99

Tekno Saab 93
Tekno Saab 96 2
Tekno Saab 99

Mike DeTorrice, David Knight, John Kuvakas and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

I have two Teknos like the ones Karl posted. Plus this Dinky:

Dinky 156 2 Saab 96 pic1
Dinky 156 2 Saab 96 pic2
Dinky 156 2 Saab 96 pic3

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@karl The wagon is actually my favorite of the bunch.  I am a big fan of station wagons in general; European or American.

I am not very familiar with the Tekno brand Karl.  As a rule I only collect car models up to around 1972; my interest fades after that point styling wise.

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member

What a wonderful cross section and display of the Swedish SAAB everyone. Love that wagon too Jack. I have the Dinky displayed here but not much else at this point.

Thanks Jack, Karl and Harv.

ReplyQuote
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member

Posted by: @jack-dodds

I am not very familiar with the Tekno brand Karl.  As a rule I only collect car models up to around 1972; my interest fades after that point styling wise.

By coincidence, Tekno Toys went out of business in 1972.  They were a contemporary of Corgi and Dinky in England but were made in Denmark.  Tekno was started by a Danish plumber making tinplate toys in his basement before the war.  He grew the company to have several factories and to make diecast cars, buses, trucks, and airplanes.  The Tekno brand lives on today as a 1:50 scale tractor truck manufacturer in the Netherlands!

green Saab 96

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @karl
Posted by: @jack-dodds

By coincidence, Tekno Toys went out of business in 1972.  They were a contemporary of Corgi and Dinky in England but were made in Denmark.  Tekno was started by a Danish plumber making tinplate toys in his basement before the war.  He grew the company to have several factories and to make diecast cars, buses, trucks, and airplanes.  The Tekno brand lives on today as a 1:50 scale tractor truck manufacturer in the Netherlands!

green Saab 96

I have just checked my records Karl and guess what I found?  I have just one Tekno model packed away at this point, which I completely forgot about; it is an MGA coupe.

ReplyQuote
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Illustrious Member

All these SAAB's look great ! Quite streamlined and having a reputation of being very well made ..... much like their various jet aircraft counterparts from that Swedish company.

Karl Schnelle, Jack Dodds, Karl Schnelle and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: