Shipping costs

Notifications
Clear all

Shipping costs

Michael Garrett
(@mike)
Topic starter  

What has happened to shipping costs from Europe?  Most used to be reasonable with a few high.  Now is seems most are very high and only a few reasonable (or affordable.)

Topic Tags
Michael Garrett
(@mike)
Topic starter  

I realize that wasn't very clear.  Talking about shipping cost on Ebay to the US.

ReplyQuote
John Quilter
(@john-quilter)
Reputable Member

@mike:  It may be partly due to the Euro and UK pound exchange rates with the US dollar.  The pound is now trading at about $1.41, much higher than only a year or more ago.  If you think Europe to US shipping is high try Australia to the US.  China seems to still be reasonable and I suspect it is highly subsidized by the CCP.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

ReplyQuote
JayGolan
(@jaygolan)
Trusted Member

@mike

There are some sellers you can get fairly low shipping but there's no tracking. The only reason for the high rates I can think of is sellers getting bad reviews when the items take a long time to ship so they only ship with the higher rates. I just wish they would offer a choice. I've been limiting my European buys to sellers who combine shipping and have enough products I want to make it worthwhile.

ReplyQuote
Chris Sweetman
(@chris-sweetman)
Estimable Member

Internal postage is high within the UK never mind outside but percentage wise tracking isn't much more than standard rates.

Best deals are from China where most eBay sellers offer free postage and VAT is added at time of purchase. But I have to watch I don't go over a certain amount to avoid customs and handling fees. 

BTW I had avoided buying from the USA due to VAT currently 20%, Customs and Handling fees when package arrived in the UK but earlier this year I obtained two holy grails from the USA and because each one was under the new set benchmark they went through OK and I wasn't charged the 'extras'!

ReplyQuote
Michael Garrett
(@mike)
Topic starter  

Thanks for responses.  The result, as it affects me, is some overseas items, I don't buy and/or bid on.  Sometimes the shipping is higher than the price.  China usually isn't where the items I really want come from (collect white metal models) and because of the way they get their shipping low, I have had some bad delivery time experiences. 

ReplyQuote
MichelleEdmunds
(@michelleedmunds)

Oh I agree with you, I've had cases where the shipping cost was higher than the purchase itself.... I understand, but this is too much, I don't think it costs that much to send me a product or whatever it is! 🙄 

This post was modified 1 month ago 3 times by MichelleEdmunds

ReplyQuote
John Quilter
(@john-quilter)
Reputable Member

A short while ago I bought two diecasts on Ebay from Russia.  Shipping was very reasonable at $8.00 with tracking...but it took 2 + months  to arrive.  Tracking showed item stuck in a Moscow postal facility for weeks.  Then another 4-5 days in a NY international postal facility.   Sell said Russian postal system delayed due to Covid.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

ReplyQuote
Mike Coupe
(@mike-coupe)
Eminent Member

What is a high postal charge? For safety's sake I send models by Royal Mail International Tracked and Signed to the US. It costs between £21 and £25 per packet usually with one, or maybe two models depending on the weight.

ReplyQuote
John Quilter
(@john-quilter)
Reputable Member

Maybe it is just me,  but £21 to £25 would defer me from buying the model.  I find postal system UK to US very reliable and signed packages always cause an  extra delay on this end.  I could be mistaken but I seem to recall that Ebay purchases do get a tracking number though.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

ReplyQuote
Robert M. Woolley
(@mcjbob)
Estimable Member

I once sold 50% of my items on eBay to Europe, now its more like 5%. There were numerous changes in postage, and the grouping of weight classes. Up to 8 ounces to UK is about $16.00 and eBay adds 10% to that to fill their pockets. Add one ounce at 9 ounces, my cost skyrockets to about $26.00. 

Its not just UK postage, its bad all over killing sales both to and from. 

Next year will be far worse with changes to the US tax laws. Now, over $20,000 AND 200 sales, you get a 1099 from Paypal or eBay. Yes, taxes are due, always have been, but what did I pay for a model I had in my collection for 30 years I bought as part of a collection? 

But wait, there is more!  For 2022, forget the 200 items and the $20,000, now a 1099 will be sent by any payment processor with $600 or more in transactions. That $600 includes postage and any tax. One $525 item with $50 sales tax and $25 postage, you get a 1099.

And there is even more good news!  Capital gains tax of 28% is charged on profit from any collector item. A collectors items is anything that sells for more than its "intrinsic" worth.  Sell a Dinky Toy for $100, not only do you need your cost of an item you bought in a collection years ago, but you have to figure its intrinsic worth. OK, a 1/43 diecast toy today is about $10, $50, or $100?  

This post was modified 1 month ago 2 times by Robert M. Woolley

ReplyQuote
JayGolan
(@jaygolan)
Trusted Member

@mike-coupe I used to get small packet items from the UK for £8, from France and the Netherlands between 10 and 15 Euros. Germany generally was the most expensive but I sometimes got low shipping there as well.

ReplyQuote
Share: