Streamliner Hot Rod... [PIC]

6 Posts
5 Users
36 Likes
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Taking cues from the late '30s Auto Union and Mercedes high powered streamliners, Norman E. Timbs spent two years (and $10,000) building this twin-carbed Buick straight 8 powered beauty from the ground up. He fabricated his own chassis from steel tubing, used a modified '47 Ford suspension and spent $8000 of the budget having the aluminum body hand formed over wooden bucks by Emil Diedt. Weighing only 2200 lbs, the car was capable of 120mph. It was used only on the show circuit until it was bought by Jim Davis who drove it around Southern California and it was later painted white. In 2002, the car was found in the middle of the desert relatively intact and was restored by Colorado customizer, Dave Crouse and after starring at the 2010 Amelia Island Show, is now in private hands.

Timbs 043
Timbs 074
Timbs 024
1 Timbs 021
Timbs 025
Timbs 064
Timbs White 006
Timbs White 021

Frank Reed, Harv Goranson, Ed Davis and 7 people reacted
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member

What a cool model (x2)!  😎  The Norman Timbs Special was also displayed at the IMA (Indianapolis) at their 2015 Dream Cars Exhibit!

IMG 4394
IMG 4393

Randy Rusk, Harv Goranson, Ed Davis and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@karl The best model of the Timbs Streamliner I've ever seen was this triptych of dioramas based on photographs starting from from the original buck made from balsa wood, its desert find condition and its restored condition at Amelia Island. I saw this at the 2014 NNL East and tried to photograph them as best I could.

NNL East 14 013
NNL East 14 011
NNL East 14 012
NNL East 14 010
NNL East 14 009
NNL East 14 008

Curtis Parisi, Harv Goranson, Ed Davis and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Paul Rouffa
(@paul-rouffa)
Reputable Member

Though I had heard the car was destroyed in a Malibu wildfire in 2018, I am now pleased to read that it is being restored again. https://www.shutterbulky.com/buick-streamliner-got-second-chance-after-fired/

Jack Dodds, Karl Schnelle, Jack Dodds and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

I saw it at the Dream Cars exhibit at the High Museum (my flash photo lightened the color of the car). I presume the Automodello is the one pictured. It was also released by Neo, though I can't understand why there would be much demand for a second issue of a one-off car. 

Automodello AM43 TM STR Timbs pic2
1948 Timbs pic2

This post was modified 4 months ago by Harv Goranson

ReplyQuote
Randy Rusk
(@randyrusk)
Prominent Member

@karl can’t believe that was 7 years ago!

ReplyQuote
Share: