6 Users
18 Likes
David H
(@d-m-holcombe)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  
IMG 8545
IMG 8547

This light plastic model is labeled on the side as "Daimler Motoren Gesellschaft Cannstatt."  On the underside is CURSOR, MADE IN GERMANY.   Using the first term, I found some information and photos dating this German development to 1898, and also found that Mercedes claims to have an older version.  Hmmmm.........

This topic was modified 2 months ago 2 times by David H

Ken Spear, David Green, Ed Davis and 3 people reacted
John Quilter
(@john-quilter)
Famed Member

And speaking of pickups,  ever seen a Powell?.  Made from reconstructed salvage yard 1940-48 Plymouth drive trains and chassis components in Compton California circa 1955-56.   This is a scratch built one since not likely a model company will produce one.

1956 Powell front
1956 Powell LH side
1956 Powell rear, small

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

David Green, Ed Davis, Frank Reed and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member

Dr Ed Force in his Germany book (1990) says Cursor started making ultra detailed 1:40 scale plastic replicas of 1880–1920 era Mercedes-Benzes and Daimlers about 1969.  Perhaps for their Museum...

ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

@karl I figured out the logic behind Cursor's numbering years ago. The 1888 Benz (yes, it should be 1888 for that specific model, not 1885) and the Daimler truck have no number molded underneath. But consider these:

Benz bus No. 269

Cursor 269 Benz bus 1896

Benz Fire Engine No. 470

Cursor 470 Benz Fire Engine 1896 pic1

VW 411 No. 868

Cursor 868 VW 411 pic1

1911 Blitzenbenz No. 970

Cursor 971 Blitzenbenz 1911 pic1

VW Transporters - both No. 767

Cursor VWs

So can you see the system?

David Green reacted
ReplyQuote
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member

The 2 VDubs must have the same baseplate so they have the same ref number...   Must be some number based on the year introduced?  #yy, with sequential n number followed by 2 digit yy year?  Am I close?  Force had the old ones numbers 1-14, with your fire engine as 2  and the taxi as 5....

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member

Cursor made really well detailed models in the late 1970s and put them in light clear plastic not unlike Corgi in the 1980s. Many of mine were inadvertently squashed in storage when heavier cases were put on top of them. My fault. I have several still unrestored which one day I may repair. David, that wagon (pickup?)you show was one of them as was the Benz bus and several others.

Here is one that I particularly liked, the 1923 Mercedes Rennwagen No.1072. Before and after below.

s l500
P1110457

ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

@karl Just about Karl. The last two digits are year of introduction, the first 1 or 2 digits must be the month. So the Mercedes David Green just posted must have seen the light of day in October 1972. Since my earliest antique would be 1969, that supports the Ed Force date, keeping in mind the VWs came earlier.

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

@john-quilter  John, I am well aware of the Powell. Your scratch built model is excellent.

ReplyQuote
John Quilter
(@john-quilter)
Famed Member

@bob-jackman  They're pretty rare on the roads these days!   The pickup had an interesting tube embedded in the side of the bed that could be used to carry fishing poles or whatever,  quite clever.  There was also a Powell station wagon with similar styling.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

ReplyQuote
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member

Posted by: @mg-harv

@karl Just about Karl. The last two digits are year of introduction, the first 1 or 2 digits must be the month. So the Mercedes David Green just posted must have seen the light of day in October 1972. Since my earliest antique would be 1969, that supports the Ed Force date, keeping in mind the VWs came earlier.

So they only introduced one model per month, or less!  Those crazy systematic Germans! 😉

ReplyQuote
Share: