White glue removal

17 Posts
9 Users
19 Likes
Michael Garrett
(@mike)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Does anyone have experience releasing white glue that is in an non-accessible spot?

Topic Tags
Ken Spear
(@kenspear)
Noble Member

Personally I don't have any experience in this but you might try sitting in a bathtub full of hot water.

ReplyQuote
john barry
(@john-barry)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @kenspear

Personally I don't have any experience in this but you might try sitting in a bathtub full of hot water.

and yet............you almost seemed to have an answer at-the-ready 🤨

ReplyQuote
Anonymous 197205057
 Anonymous 197205057
(@Anonymous 197205057)
Estimable Member

Hot water. But be careful if you have a resin model/parts.

ReplyQuote
Michael Garrett
(@mike)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

@john-sharisky It is white metal but I have tried boiling water which doesn't seem to faze it.

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Illustrious Member

@mike ...here's my 2 cents.

I've had a few "run-ins"  with white-glue but they've always been "non-issues." 

I never tried to warm/heat white-glue because I've never run across any material weaker than the strength of white-glue. I could easily "break off"  (without damage) the pieces I desired.

I realize you deem the area as inaccessible, but is there any way you could "loop/wedge"  Dental Floss between two areas then pull or "break off"   the part(s) desired?

I've had excellent luck separating very small pieces using this method.

ReplyQuote
Michael Garrett
(@mike)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

@chris     Interesting method I have never used.  I will see but I don't think I can get it in on this model.  Could work others places I ha

ve had to unglue.

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Illustrious Member

@mike "fingers crossed" 😀 😀

This post was modified 1 year ago by Christopher Moroni

ReplyQuote
Michael Garrett
(@mike)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

The "problem piece" is a 1938 Buick Town Car.  Someone had used super glue on it so I was going to strip and repaint.  I had hoped to remove the black roof piece to get a better paint job.  Can't figure out how use the Dental Floss method (but may on other projects.)

John Kuvakas reacted
ReplyQuote
alfredgee
(@alfredgee)
Trusted Member

Hi Michael,

Are you sure the vinyl top is a separate piece? It looks like a single casting that was masked and painted when I look at the rear.

rear

ReplyQuote
John Quilter
(@john-quilter)
Famed Member

Looking at the front it does look like a separate piece.  Not sure if Brooklin used white water soluble glue on such a large piece however but try soaking it in warm water.   It might be better to mask if off. 

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

ReplyQuote
Michael Garrett
(@mike)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I even tried boiling water with no apparent affect.  I think I will have to mask.

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Illustrious Member

@mike There should be two Phillip-head screws  securing the chassis to the body.  I assume this model has been disassembled per paint preparation, you should therefore, be able see how that top is mounted.

But honestly, I'm not certain it is. I know that partition is a separate piece, but it appears the padded top is part of the body casting.

If you strip the model in automotive brake fluid (as I have done for decades) that plastic padded roof (if it IS plastic) WILL NOT BE HARMED in any way.

Automotive brake fluid WILL SAFELY STRIP PAINT FROM METAL AND PLASTIC WITH ZERO damage.

ReplyQuote
Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Illustrious Member

@chris 

Are there any types of plastic that brake fluid will harm?

Ed Davis
Inverness, Illinois, USA

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @ed-davis

@chris 

Are there any types of plastic that brake fluid will harm?

Not that I'm aware of. 

In over 40 years of stripping paint with brake fluid, I've yet to see any damage.

I will say, however, that I HAVE NEVER "soaked"  clear plastic. I WOULD ASSUME clear plastic would become cloudly. 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: