1935 Duesenberg SSJ Speedster by Racing Champions

12 Posts
4 Users
30 Likes
Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I receive many emails from Diecast Direct on their car and truck models.  Occasionally, something interests me enough and I buy it.  Racing Champions has produced 1/64 scale model cars for over 20 years.  This appears to be one of their newer models.  It is a 1935 Duesenberg SSJ Speedster.  The SSJ had a shorter wheelbase than the J and SJ models.  It had a supercharged straight-8 engine with double overhead cams.  Supposedly it could produce more than 400 hp with a top speed of 140 mph.  I have four photos of the model.  The first three show the car next to the drive-in restaurant on my train layout.  The fourth photo shows the engine detail with hood removed.  The price was about $22, a bit expensive for this scale, but an interesting model.

IMG 3135
IMG 3136
IMG 3138
IMG 3148

Ed Davis
Inverness, Illinois, USA

David Green, David H, David Green and 1 people reacted
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Noble Member

Ed, a few things:

1) I have several of these, purchased when released c.20 years ago. They were $2.99 then as I recall.

2) I've never unboxed most of my "small scale" collection, these included. BUT I never knew the hood opened. TOO funny!

3) So... you have 1/64 on your train layout?  So.... your trains are S-scale?

4) Cool pics.

Most of my "small scale" collection, still "MIB" condition:

1 43 1 SC

BTW:

Your info about the SSJ is spot on.  I've put aside a 1/18 1932 Duesenberg project (to work on another) but I had to educate myself on "Duesy facts" before I started.

D 7
D 9

Ed Davis, David Green, Ed Davis and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

@chris 

Yes, my model train layout is 1/64 scale.  I am attaching a few pictures, some of which have appeared in previous posts in this section.  The model cars and trucks are from Racing Champions, Ertl, Greenlight, M2, NEO, and First Gear.  In the past I usually removed the models from their packaging, but for recent purchases I usually leave them in their plastic packages.  I made an exception for the Duesenberg, since I wanted to take a close look at it.  One thing about the train layout, which is not common on train layouts, is the airport.  I use 1/72 scale diecast airplanes.  The planes in the pictures are Navy/Marine planes with color scheme used in 1960s and 1970s, which is similar to the years of the cars.  I can change the planes and show a "warbird" collection from WW2.  I change the cars on the layout periodically, which is why the Duesenberg is not shown.

Enjoy the photos.

IMG 2455
IMG 2444
IMG 2450
IMG 2804
IMG 2819

Ed Davis
Inverness, Illinois, USA

Bob Jackman, David Green, Bob Jackman and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member

That is fantastic detail for 1/64 scale Ed. Christopher, that is an impressive concentration of boxed models. That 1/18 scale Duesenberg looks like a major challenge.

ReplyQuote
Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

@chris 

You have a very large small scale collection. Do you have an estimate for the number of models?

Also, most of the Racing Champions models I remember had opening hoods. Some worked better than others.

Ed Davis
Inverness, Illinois, USA

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Noble Member

@david-green Thanks David. Yeah, all my 1/18 projects are major challenges! 😣 😫 😣 

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Noble Member

@ed-davis Yes Ed, I was aware that most (if not all) Racing Champions "1/64" (not all are actually 1/64 scale) have opening hoods; I just didn't realize that Duesenberg did.

I envy your "neat & tidy" layout & room!  Believe it or not, I have more N-scale trains than diecast cars (in all scales) but my "layout" has been in the "armchair" stage since I was 18. That was 40 years ago!  One day I hope to do some type of layout. As you noted, your airport is something rarely seen on a layout; pretty cool! 

Number of models (mostly 1/18) is north of 1,000.  I have a "few" walls that look like this:

Wall

I have about 200 N-scale vehicles (nothing past 1956). Here's a small sample I photographed c.10 years ago (then I returned them to their boxes, then those boxes were returned to the closet... 😣 😣)  Hard to believe I used to do ALL THIS WORK without glasses!

Nscale cars1
Nscalecars3
Nscalecars2
Nscalecars5
Nscalecars4
Nscalecars6
Nscalecars8
Nscalecars9
Nscalecras7

Bob Jackman, David Green, Ed Davis and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

@chris 
I have not seen that many nice looking N scale model cars and trucks. Which companies produce them?

You are correct about the Racing Champions models not all being 1/64 scale. The ones I use on the train layout are close enough to 1/64 to look ok with the others.

Ed Davis
Inverness, Illinois, USA

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Noble Member

@ed-davis More companies than I can remember. Some are even "toys" (similar to Micro Machines) that were modified...including an Ertl released "Dick Tracey" series of 1930's & 40's cars (in perfect N-scale). 

Ed Davis and Ed Davis reacted
ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

@ed-davis Ed, I love your layout and pictures of your collection. I hope the jet ready for takeoff is prepared for a sharp turn immediately after leaving the ground to avoid the wall.

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

Chris, I too have N scale trains. Unfortunately when we moved to this house twenty plus years ago, I didn't have room for a train room so my trains are packed up. About ten years ago I donated about ten locomotives, 100 cars, power pack, track, roadbed and buildings to a museum for their layout. I live in the south so we don't have basements like we did when we lived in the St. Louis area.

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Noble Member

@bob-jackman That was very kind of you; I doubt I'll be that generous. On the other hand, I need to figure something out. The more I ponder & study the phrase, "You can't take it with you"  the more I believe there may be some truth to that. 🤔 🤔 🤔 

ReplyQuote
Share: