22 Likes
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Husky Models.

s l1600
26a6

Husky Models, made by Mettoy, the creator of Corgi Toys first appeared in 1964 and were sold exclusively by Woolworths in the USA & Canada and Britain until 1969. Many of these later appeared as Corgi Juniors. Here are a selection of them as they appeared in their original bubble packs.

20a1
s l1600
10a1 zps1c8c63c4
photos 90113674 80170060 14819047

s l1600
s l1600
s l1600
s l1600
blisterhusky

The early series had red cards and were 39 cents each.

photos 32105676 63634523 31250909
s l1600
Husky Aston Martin DB5
Husky 1401 W395
32 1 1 ml

2b2
6a3
Husky 3 W669

A list of many offerings is on the back of the bubblepack cards.

unnamed

Most of the Jaguars are shown elsewhere.

Charles Rockett
(@charles-rockett)
Famed Member

Hi David, I remember Husky well but don't remember them in these bubble packs. Somewhere in my foggy mind I have them in boxes.  Any idea - other than the early onset of senility? 

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@charles-rockett

Hi Charles,

They certainly were not too common where I lived but here is one. I think that the later series may have been offered in this way but not the original 39 cent varieties. Others may know more.

images

The box shown here looks nice but is likely a custom box made much later than the toy VW itself.

ReplyQuote
Charles Rockett
(@charles-rockett)
Famed Member

@david-green Thanks for this!  This is precisely as I remember them, possibly '67 to '69 U.K.

ReplyQuote
Chris Sweetman
(@chris-sweetman)
Prominent Member

Posted by: @charles-rockett

Hi David, I remember Husky well but don't remember them in these bubble packs. Somewhere in my foggy mind I have them in boxes.  Any idea - other than the early onset of senility? 

@charles-rockett In the UK never seen Husky models in boxes only remember them on blister packs.

Chris

Autominologist residing in the Robin Hood County
Nottinghamshire England UK

ReplyQuote
Charles Rockett
(@charles-rockett)
Famed Member

@chris-sweetman This is a bit of a conundrum. As you may see, I asked about the boxes before the boxes were mentioned in the thread, and on seeing the box, recall the type precisely.  Now, with a little search, I have found the boxed Citroen Safari - exactly as I had one myself, boxed. And the same model in a blister pack ?

I also remember having the Man From U.N.C.L.E model, again in a box and thinking that these more likely date from the mid sixties, I could be remembering them from Zambia, where we had all the usual Corgi, Dinky, Matchbox and Yesteryear fare.

ReplyQuote
Chris Sweetman
(@chris-sweetman)
Prominent Member

@charles-rockett I found the Citroen box too:

https://www.typvcl.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=213865

Link above is from a site that does repro boxes but not convinced that it is based on an original.

Repro box manufactures now supply boxes for toy cars that were never originally issued in a card box and collectors are buying them to store them in.

As I have said individual Husky models were never available in card boxes for the British market only blister packs. Also when Husky changed into Corgi Juniors the latter were also available only on blister packs. 

Chris 

ReplyQuote
Chris Sweetman
(@chris-sweetman)
Prominent Member

Husky also did 1:64th scale figure sets:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisstar4/6157222832/in/photolist-dRGAaV-ao6nQm-8Y8XAf-8Y8XyQ-7PV7Vm-7PRNiv

This set of figures were one of four sets available. They are unusual in being one of the few ranges of ready painted 1:64th scale figures.

From left to right they are:

1. Police Dog Handler with Alsatian,
2. Children's crossing supervisor - affectionally known in England as a 'lolly pop' man,
3. Milkman (or could be used as a deck chair attendant but I am not aware that Husky or indeed anyone else made 1:64th scale deck chairs in 1969!) BTW Husky never made a milk float but Matchbox did,
4. WPC (lady police officer),
5. Policeman controlling traffic known here in Britain as 'point duty'
6. Traffic warden. This was a relatively new role in 1969 so Mettoy, Husky's owners, were up with the times. I don't know if any one else made a traffic warden miniature in any scale.

Note: as these are on a yellow card they are late issues into the world of Husky.

Chris

ReplyQuote
Charles Rockett
(@charles-rockett)
Famed Member

Posted by: @chris-sweetman

@charles-rockett I found the Citroen box too:

https://www.typvcl.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=213865

Link above is from a site that does repro boxes but not convinced that it is based on an original.

Repro box manufactures now supply boxes for toy cars that were never originally issued in a card box and collectors are buying them to store them in.

As I have said individual Husky models were never available in card boxes for the British market only blister packs. Also when Husky changed into Corgi Juniors the latter were also available only on blister packs. 

Chris 

Perhaps you did not read my last post to you?  I only joke about the early onset of senility. When I say I owned this model in this box as a boy that means I owned this model in this box as a boy. They call them reproduction because they are copies of originals exactly the same.

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Husky put out several boxed sets. A few of these were later relabelled Corgi Junior. Below is the boxed Husky Crime Busters Gift Set.

unnamed

ReplyQuote
Charles Rockett
(@charles-rockett)
Famed Member

Great set for T.V. addicted kids: they're all here Batman, Bond, and our man from U.N.C.L.E.. Did they ever do a model of the Green Hornet car? I seem to remember Corgi issued a 1/43 version.

ReplyQuote
Charles Rockett
(@charles-rockett)
Famed Member

On a little memory excursion to googleland, I found this........

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@charles-rockett

Hi Charles,

Although the larger Corgi Green Hornet came out in 1966, I can't find a listing for a Husky or Corgi Junior model. It would have been a great addition.

ReplyQuote
Stangfreak
(@stangfreak)
Trusted Member

WOW, WOW, WOW  definitely some serious memory models here. Thanks so much for sharing these. I know at some point several of these castings were released on Corgi Jr. cards. I'm not sure which anymore though.

I think these are the only ones that survived my "WILD CHILD" childhood. Great little cars. I think I may have the blue Jaguar somewhere...

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@stangfreak

You managed to keep quite a selection from your youth. I have the bat mobile, Aston Martin and Studebaker with Corgi Junior bases. The others that you have I'm not sure about but I have a couple of books that would have that information. Below is a Cori Junior Leisure Gift set. All the vehicles in this started out as Husky Models.

Leisure Time Gift Set Model Vehicle Sets 3002226e e010 4cfd b106 e82e1a8ce16e

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: