1964 was a Good Yea...

Notifications
Clear all

1964 was a Good Year

Stangfreak
(@stangfreak)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

1964 was a good year for Ford anyway, Almost all of my family bought new Fords throughout that year. I guess it must have been a good year for all of them as well. I was very pleased and excited when Auto World began releasing these 1/64th models. Both grandpas bought nice looking hardtops. 

My dad and an aunt on mom's side both bought great looking convertibles.

A great uncle and an older uncle both bought the Country Squire station wagons.

OK, here's the kicker. My mom had two younger brothers and my dad had one. One of mom's brothers bought a red 427 4 speed 64 Galaxie like this one below. My dad's younger brother bought a black one. I remember going to the Ford dealer with one of them and seeing a white one setting on the show room floor. Those 427 4 speed Galxies were pure awesome. 

My mom's youngest brother also bought a 427 4 speed 1964 Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt. Those were awesome and fast cars also.

Two of my uncles' friends both had Chevys. One was a 63 409 Impala with a 4 speed and the other was a 64 427 Impala, also a 4 speed. I can remember as a 10 year old little dude going with them to race each other about every Friday or Saturday night on the old back country roads. Nothing could have been more exciting for a 10 year old at that time. Definitely some seriously fond and exciting memories there. The parking lot at our family reunion that year looked like a Ford dealership it's self...LOL

I found and collected as many of these castings as I could find.

Pete Rovero, Josh, Charles Rockett and 3 people liked
John Merritt
(@jcarnutz)
Noble Member

That is a lot of '64 Ford models. I have quite a few of the Auto World '64 Ford Galaxie and Country Squire models, but not as many as you. Love them.

ReplyQuote
John Bono
(@sizedoesmatter)
Noble Member

Great story and pictures. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Stangfreak
(@stangfreak)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

It's funny how you remember certain things that happen well over 50 years ago so well, but can't remember where you put the car keys last night, or what you came into a room for today...LOL
I do remember all the many celebrations and get togethers that went on that year within my family due to my one grandpa getting a big promotion on the railroad and his two sons (my uncles on mom's side) also getting on with him at the railroad. Pretty much the same with my other grandpa (on my dad's side) and his sons who were all truck drivers. We even got a brand new color console TV too. I still think 1964 was the best year of my life. I also remember Christmas like it was yesterday. Being downtown with my mom Christmas eve day for some last minute shopping. Really crispy cold outside with about a foot of snow already, and still snowflakes coming down the size of twenty five cent pieces. We were shopping at a Lazarus store that had all their windows decorated with little trains and all kinds of dancing cartoon characters around the little mini villages. Really a site to see like never before. The 6th floor was all decorated like a winter, wonder, toy land, and I got to play there almost all day while mom shopped. She also let me pick out 5  $.49 Lesney/Matchbox cars for being a good boy all day and staying put. I still have all 5 of those little cars. One thing I remember being extremely excited about was, at 7:00 pm that night was the first showing of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer on our new color TV. Come life or death I made mom promise to have us home by 7:00pm.  Yes, the most exciting day of my life and the best year. Somehow, someway, when I am playing with these 64 Galaxies one of the fond memories of 1964 will creep into my head and make my whole day better... 

ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Moderator Admin

What an awesome story!

John Kuvakas

Josh liked
ReplyQuote
Charles Rockett
(@charles-rockett)
Reputable Member

Josh liked
ReplyQuote
Bob Kroupa
(@2bubbas)
Trusted Member

I graduated HS in 1964!  

ReplyQuote
Josh
 Josh
(@josh)
Reputable Member

Great model work, great story, reminds me of the movie "Christmas Story" with the pictures and story going in the background. Thanks for posting.

Joshua J. Shy

ReplyQuote
Share: