Majorette

15 Posts
4 Users
8 Likes
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

As a student at Queens University in the 1960s, I used to walk around town to clear my head. One day in a hardware store window I saw my first Majorettes in a rotating display. I bought the entire display.

Majorette is a French toy manufacturer which mostly produces small diecast cars and other construction and military vehicles, particularly in1/64 scale. This is a normal 2.5 to 3 inch size, thus Majorette has sometimes been called the Matchbox Toys of France. Traditionally, production was centered in the urban area of Lyon, but models are now made in Thailand.
The company was founded in 1961 by Emile Veron, from the same family that also created NorevMajorette became the main French manufacturer of Matchbox-sized miniature vehicles.

The 1990s brought financial troubles and Majorette began to retreat from the U.S. market. The period had a tremendous impact in the quality of the miniatures. In 1992, bankruptcy was followed by a take over by Ideal, and most Majorette production was relocated to Thailand. Today, as part of the Simba-Dickie Toy Group, the Majorette 200 line continues to be made in Thailand and newer models are made in China. 

P1070924
P1070929
P1070931
P1070930

This Renault 5 was one of the approx. 80 that I got then. Note the early packaging.

This trailer and motorcycle was another part of that display.

P1070916
P1070914
P1070915
P1070911

I still have many of these early issues although many were traded over the years. I'll show a few others over the next while.

Does anyone else collect these?

Charles Rockett
(@charles-rockett)
Famed Member

I have never heard of this brand.  Even though I've been living in France for five years and occasionally look through model car 'boutiques' (daren't call them shops) I don't recall even having seen this packaging.

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@charles-rockett

Hi Charles

Maybe it was most prevalent before your time in France.

The company became the largest French toy car manufacturer by 1970.  Though French cars like Peugeot and Renault were emphasized, other licensed marques included European brands, and North American vehicles were in the line.  At the end of 1980, Majorette purchased revered diecast producer Solido. About this same time, the Portuguese company Novocar was also purchased and Majorette production commenced in Portugal.

Majorette declined badly in the 1990s but I noted in my last visit to Walmart that they had about a twenty different Majorettes in stock.

ReplyQuote
Charles Rockett
(@charles-rockett)
Famed Member

Also likely is that I'm simply not registering them.  I'd be visiting these 'boutiques' to look for, or collect from an e-bay purchase, Belle Epoque or CCC kit models, and whilst there are always plenty of Rami, La Belle Epoque (plastic toy) models from the veteran era, which I'll stop to look at, maybe others: utility / military or 1/64th. scale will escape my attention? Though I do feel I'd be intrigued if I saw packaging of a marque I didn't know, such as the box of your Renault 5.

On the subject of Solido - of which I've quite a few and which lend themselves to retouching, there are enterprising modellers here who make kits to alter these models, beyond of course, Elysee who sold, boxed and labeled, and ready built, Solido transkit models.

Here is a transkit for Solido's 1931 Cadillac of which I bought two, but please note the very fine models photographed are NOT, (sadly) mine.

ReplyQuote
Harrison & Evelyn Miniature Auto Museum
(@lu)
Famed Member

@david-green Thanks, David. My first Majorette was A VW bug. I still have it. 

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@charles-rockett

Hi Charles,

These Cadillacs are really well done. The variety and relatedly low price for quality diecast makes Solido a natural for transmits. Record, a French company made an extensive line of these, mostly of European Rally cars. I have a number of these, mails Peugeot 504s, Renault 30 Turbos and Renault Fuegos. Starter did several American cars. I have not seen that Cadillac transit before.

Thanks for this.

ReplyQuote
Chav
 Chav
(@chav)
Famed Member

Majorette made many 1/24, I see them on eBay all the time. They are probably from the 90's as they are advertised "made in France". I don't own any.

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hi Chav,

Yes the Majorette 1/24 scale were not too bad; Bburago quality in the main.

I only kept a few Jaguar E-Tyoes for my collection even with the inferior wire wheels

boxed majorette diecast model green 360 99632c16d09fad0fac761c8de1a18f27
35013674 1

ReplyQuote
Chav
 Chav
(@chav)
Famed Member

@david-green Thanks Dave, I am looking for a good E type coupe in 1:24. The Marjorette has decent shapes but I want more details. The FM one has very annoying door gaps, I would rather have the doors sealed. Hachette made one that is decent. Already have a convertible from FM and convertible-hard top from Small Wheels/WM. Even considering 1:18, as it is an iconic car and I like it a lot.

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hi Chav,

I don't tend to collect  over 1/43 scale these days although I have the Monogram 1/8 scale kit built.

To me the current best in 1/24 is by Whitebox, which may be also the Hachette one. The wire wheels let both of these down

1/18 offers more choice right up to the expensive almost perfect Amalgum Series 1 Coupe.

Also, Norev make a fine one in 1/12th scale.

Good hunting. I would be interested in knowing your final choice.

ReplyQuote
Chav
 Chav
(@chav)
Famed Member

@david-green Yes, I believe Hachette and Whitebox comes from the same tooling, but whitebox is usually available in US, while Hachette I have to buy from Europe, probably the colors are different too, I've seen the Hachette model in British racing green. The other model I am considering is from Autoart but I heard the wheels are undersized and have to be replaced. Amalgam are too expensive ...

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Returning to the small size Majorette diecast, here are a few more.

Majorette in their early days did a series of trailers with cargos such as gliders,  motorcycles and this Formula 3 Alpine, similar to the racecats that got Stirling Moss started in competition.

P1070975
P1070976
P1070974
P1070979

Here is the 219 Matra Simca Bagheera that was issued in 1974. Note again the early box.

P1070927

P1070933
P1070932
P1070935

I'll add a few more shortly.

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

A couple more. 

First the #261 Morgan Plus 8 from 1979. Most of these came in revised boxes. This one came in the original cases, likely the last of Majorettes stock. One of my favourites.

P1070928
P1070937
P1070936
P1070939

Next is the #207 Jaguar E-Type V12 Coupe which came out in 1972

P1070941

For more details and images of this one go to 'Jaguars in 1/64th scale'.

Chav and Chav reacted
ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

A few more of #219 Jaguar E-Type V12 Coupe.

P1070958
P1070940
P1070954
P1070955
P1070953

Chav and Chav reacted
ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Majorettes are still readily available. This one was purchased last week at Walmarts in Canada. This one says 'Made in Thailand'. Another Jaguar for my collection.

P1070981

ReplyQuote
Share: