My ultimate Collection

10 Posts
8 Users
28 Likes
Stangfreak
(@stangfreak)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have been collecting diecast and plastic model builds for over 60 years now. I have acquired over 13,000 cars of various scales.
I still have my entire Lesney/Matchbox collection from the 50s and the 60s, by a total absolute freak discovery.

Back in the late 50s my grandma began buying these little rides for me to keep at her house to play with when I came to stay with her.
She kept buying and buying until the early 70s. That's when I got my license and first Mustang, so the visits slaked off a bit. For a little over 20 years my collection had been forgotten about. She passed in early 1975 and my grandpa lived there until late 1995 when he remarried. He ask me to help get the old house in shape to sell, which I did. I spent over a week in the basement alone, cleaning, painting and hauling off unwanted goods. On my last inspection I noticed a piece of dark green plastic sticking out from the riser of the bottom step. The steps were enclosed with thin paneling with a door at the highest point. Granny stored her Christmas decorations under there forever. I thought I had everything emptied from that storage area, so I decided to crawl back under the lower stairs and get that plastic out. To my shocking surprise it was a big box with all my Matchbox collection neatly firmly, and well packed and covered with a construction size green plastic garbage bag. All in the condition I left them in 20-25 years earlier, when my grandma packed them away. I had almost left it for the new homeowners to find. I was totally shocked and overwhelmed. This is what got me back into collecting and been going strong ever since. I have added a few here and there, but here's what I have photographed so far...

I call it"My Ultimate Collection"

2 cases of the Models of Yesteryear also...

Thank you Grandma and may you always rest in heavenly peace... Love Kiss Inlove  

This topic was modified 2 years ago 4 times by Stangfreak

100Ford2003, Pete Rovero, Mike DeTorrice and 7 people reacted
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

Wow!!  Amazing story and collection!

Ed Davis and Ed Davis reacted
ReplyQuote
Stangfreak
(@stangfreak)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

@jack-dodds 
I am very glad you enjoyed it Jack. To this very day I still get that overwhelming feeling when I get the old collection out and start looking through it. 
Here's a link to more updated information of my present day collection. 

I do 💖LOVE💖 these little cars...

https://diecastsociety.com/gallery-view/steve-stangfreak-mason-june-2019/

100Ford2003, Ed Davis, 100Ford2003 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member

@stangfreak 

This a truly amazing story. Your Grandma was an amazing lady to collect all those Matchbox cars and buildings and keep them in such pristine condition, ready for you to find them. What a lucky last minute discovery for you, and I' glad that it rekindled your interest.

Thanks for sharing this magnificent collection.

Jack Dodds, Ed Davis, Jack Dodds and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Illustrious Member

Wonderful story, and fantastic collection. Thanks for sharing.

Ed Davis
Inverness, Illinois, USA

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

+1.

ReplyQuote
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Illustrious Member

Whoa, a great story ! Glad they were found and treasured again.

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Illustrious Member

Nothing to add because it's been said by everyone else. "Great, terrific, wonderful, etc..."  They all apply!  I'm blown away by this story and your collection; thanks for sharing.

ReplyQuote
Stangfreak
(@stangfreak)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thank you all for the great comments. I have loved this hobby since day one way back then. Although I did drop off collecting for a while there once I got my license and began playing with the real muscle cars. That got quite expensive though. I have explored so many ways of enjoying this hobby from customizing and restoring the cars to building dioramas and lay-outs. I learned how to make silicone molds to cast items for customizing cars and even shop stuff. Some I carved myself and others I molded and cast from existing cars and store bought dioramas. From then on it became more of a passion for me. I was diagnosed with cancer in 2006 and still fighting that nasty stuff today after many treatments, surgeries, MRIs, CT scans, meds, and exams. This hobby/passion has helped a great deal pull me through many dark, scary, confusing, and depressing times. 

Resin Castings a
Resin Castings b
Resin Castings c
Resin Castings Engine college full
Cast items a
Cast items b
Post 2

100Ford2003, Ed Davis, Jack Dodds and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
100Ford2003
(@100ford2003)
Illustrious Member