1978 #1
1978 #2

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

Pete Rovero, Bob Jackman, John Kuvakas and 2 people liked
Frank Reed
(@frank)
Prominent Member

I bought my first new vehicle in 78,  Ford F-250.  Bare bones work truck.  

Frank Reed
Chesapeake, VA

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Famed Member Registered

My wife has just gotten her sales and real estate brokers license in 1978 and needed a car to show clients potential homes. We bought a 1978 Chrysler LeBaron Town and Country station wagon. Our timing couldn't have been worse as interest rates climbed to 19-20% and the market came to a complete halt.

ReplyQuote
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Famed Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @frank

I bought my first new vehicle in 78,  Ford F-250.  Bare bones work truck.  

I bought my second brand new car in 1978.  It was a Chevy Malibu 2-door.  I remember sitting down when it was ordered and going over the options and extra's I wanted on it.  Sure don't do that in today's car dealership.  

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

ReplyQuote
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Famed Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @bob-jackman

My wife has just gotten her sales and real estate brokers license in 1978 and needed a car to show clients potential homes. We bought a 1978 Chrysler LeBaron Town and Country station wagon. Our timing couldn't have been worse as interest rates climbed to 19-20% and the market came to a complete halt.

Oh man, I remember those interest rates.  I was in the lending business and trying to do loans when the prime rate was 19% was difficult at best.  It was also when the gas shortages were rampant and they were rationing gas.  I remember cars lined up at the pumps to get $5 worth of gas.  

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

ReplyQuote
John Merritt
(@jcarnutz)
Noble Member

I was still in High School in ‘78. Cars were just ugly back then. Downsized boxes were just starting to show up and they weren’t appealing. Only Ford Motor Co. still made a full size cars. If I had to pick a car from that year, it would probably be the Thunderbird.

John Merritt
South Lyon, Michigan - USA

ReplyQuote
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Famed Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @jcarnutz

I was still in High School in ‘78. Cars were just ugly back then. Downsized boxes were just starting to show up and they weren’t appealing. Only Ford Motor Co. still made a full size cars. If I had to pick a car from that year, it would probably be the Thunderbird.

For the most part, you and and I agree on the cars of '78 not being the best in the looks department.  Then we go to the 1980's and it only got worse.  

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

ReplyQuote
Share: