help with query ple...

Notifications
Clear all

help with query please

Honestpolitician
(@geoff-jowett)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Does anyone have an idea what I should pay a skilled modeler to repair my damaged models? Repairer has done some brilliant work with trains so really knows what he is doing. I'm thinking an hourly rate, rather than per model as there are quite a few, and the complexity varies between models, although none of them are a complete rebuild. Its mostly repairing and replacing small intricate parts. Repairer is a nice guy who initially quoted a really low amount but I want to ensure his skills and help are adequately rewarded. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Joop
 Joop
(@joop)
Reputable Member

In the not so distant past I had many 1:43-scale-models built by a professional model-builder.

And although some models were more difficult than others (we're talking about old Provence Moulage-kits or the sort

here) we always agreed a set price.

That's a price at which you both must agree on.

You see, when he charges you per hour, the model may very well become truly expensive and he might just price himself out of the trade, if you get my point.

So it comes down to balancing.

Here are some models he made for me.

At a certain moment things turned sour between us, but I still consider him to be one of the best model-builders around.

Chevrolet Corvette Bertone Nivola (1990)
Chevrolet Corvette CERV 3 (1990)
Chevrolet Corvette Corvair (Motorama 1954)
Chevrolet Corvette Nomad (1954)
Chevrolet Corvette Ramarro (1984)
Corvette garage

ReplyQuote
Honestpolitician
(@geoff-jowett)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

thanks Joop, yes u raise a good point about the hourly rate perhaps becoming too expensive. 

ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Moderator Admin

@geoff-jowett, I'd be inclined to accept his stated price. If you like the work, you can always "tip" him some extra cash.

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

ReplyQuote
Honestpolitician
(@geoff-jowett)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

thanks John, I've actually done that. Joops point is highly relevant. I was trying to get an overall perspective on a charge, thats why I thought of an hourly rate, which I was roughly thinking of as US$40 per hour, and then again taking Joops point, work out charge per job from there. Any thoughts please?

ReplyQuote
Chris Sweetman
(@chris-sweetman)
Estimable Member

@geoff-jowett I would go with a price per project as you have indicted some will be much easier than others to complete.

Talented model builders/repairers are thin on the ground and it is worth considering when nurturing a relationship. 

Unlike your local garage there won't be price menu for each type of service.

For the present John's point is valid to accept the price they have given.

Robin Hood County
Nottinghamshire England UK

ReplyQuote
Honestpolitician
(@geoff-jowett)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

thanks Chris appreciate the feedback. You are right about people with talent being thin on the ground. Thats why I really want to ensure he his paid what his work is worth. I have over 400 models and around 35 odd years collecting there has been a few accidents plus postage damage issues etc. He has already finished most of my initial batch of 5 and the work is outstanding, examples include replacing side mirror and door handle on Automodellos Kaiser Darrin, and replacing wiper and removing glue residue from their Buick. Very delicate operations. You would not know the repairs have been made.

His original price to do 5 jobs similar to this was $40Aust around $30US. Which I thought was ridiculously low so I paid close to $100US, $120Aust. Thats for all 5 jobs.

This post was modified 3 months ago by Honestpolitician

ReplyQuote
Share: