"I Saw Her Standing There"

16 Posts
8 Users
70 Likes
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Famed Member Admin
Topic starter  

McCartney at the Cavern Club in 1999 with Daivd Gilmour and Ian Paice. Gilmour has been very open about wanting to play with the Beatles. This was a lifetime dream for him and you can hear it in his playing. 

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

Frank Reed, 100Ford2003, Bob Jackman and 5 people reacted
100Ford2003
(@100ford2003)
Famed Member

I love the Beatles. I'm 69yrs old and my oldest sis is 67. Youngest sis was born in '62 and Sue is a Beatles fan too !

Their music, over their years and their diversity and artistry, have been relevant in my life for decades. 

I love 'Breakfast with the Beatles'  which is a nationally syndicated radio show heard here in SoCal on KLOS FM 95.5 on Sundays from 9AM- 12PM hosted by the great Chris Carter. 

Look for it locally. I'm a huge proponent of terrestrial radio and have been for years !

I miss the old radio theater days... Jack Benny, The Lux Radio Show Hour, The Shadow, Dragnet....and so on and so on.

On the Beatles broadcast you never know what you might hear. For instance, one program played singing versions of Beatles songs by different band members so they could decide who's voice sounded better before the song was struck in vinyl. 

Sorry, too long a post here. 

Steve

Jack Dodds, TerrySlekar, John Kuvakas and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Famed Member Admin
Topic starter  

@100ford2003, great memories. We're about the same age. It's hard to describe the impact and influence thay had to someone who didn't live through that era. Four young guys changed the world. Every record released was an event. We all wanted to sing their songs, wear their clothes, do the things they were doing, go the places they went.

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

Jack Dodds, TerrySlekar, 100Ford2003 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
100Ford2003
(@100ford2003)
Famed Member

@jkuvakas  

Sir, their songs were awesome...so were  their voices / harmonies. And the way they changed and expanded their musical talents were / are unheard of.

I was thrilled  with Wings and then rejoiced when I found the Travelling Wilbury's !

I'm still a Ringo fan... Photograph still brings a year to my eye...ok..enough.

I love the Stones...The Kinks, John Denver, 10CC,  and so many I can't think of at this moment. 

Steve

Jack Dodds, TerrySlekar, John Kuvakas and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
100Ford2003
(@100ford2003)
Famed Member

Has anyone viewed 'The Concert for George' from the Royal Albert Hall ?? 

INCREDIBLE, sorry for the caps ! 

Steve

Frank Reed, Jack Dodds, John Kuvakas and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
TerrySlekar
(@terryslekar)
Noble Member

I too, am an avid Beatle-maniac! What they did will NEVER be equaled. I got into them about 6 months before they hit the States - fall of ‘63, I was 10, our babysitters’ dad was USAF stationed in England & he brought home a ‘Beatles record…she played it for me & I was instantly hooked!

Zeeky Banutski
The People’s Republic of Maryland

100Ford2003, Jack Dodds, John Kuvakas and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jeff G
(@old-caddys)
Estimable Member

When they appeared on the Ed Sullivan show in 1964 I was 7 years old. That is a something I'll never forget. It's one of the few things along with the assassination of JFK, Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King, and Neil Armstrong stepping on the moon that stick out in my mind. I hope those things never leave my memory. We currently face mass shootings, global health problems and the continued attempt to end our democratic form of government. When I think about our current state of affairs, it brings me back to the better memories of my childhood. My how things and times have changed.

This post was modified 3 months ago by Jeff G

Jack Dodds, Geoff Jowett, 100Ford2003 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Moe Parr
(@moe-parr)
Famed Member

This is a great thread!

The Beatle that I have really come to appreciate is George Harrison. Lennon and McCartney were the foundation of the band's songwriting so I think George was a bit overlooked but Here Comes the Sun, Something, and While My Guitar Gently Weeps are among the group's best songs, IMHO.

Barry Levittan
Long Island, NY

Jack Dodds, 100Ford2003, John Kuvakas and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Famed Member Admin
Topic starter  

@moe-parr, I often wonder what it must have been like for George. He had everything it took to be a star on his own but he was in a band with Lennon & McCartney. For sure, they were all incredible together. But George always seemed to take a back seat to the powerhouse team of John & Paul and the incredibly charming personality, not to mention the brilliant drumming, of Ringo.

George's creatvity was evident fairly early on, it can be heard on "Don't Bother Me" and "I Need you"great songs on their own but hard to compare to "I Wanna Hold your Hand" and "Help" or "A Hard Days Night". In their early days, George was a good guitarist but not a great one with George Martin replacing him several times with Paul or John in the recording studio as George would struggle with a solo. But George continually improved and, in my mind, began to come into his own on "Rubber Soul" and "Revolver".

By the time they were recording "Let it Be" and "Abbey Road" George had matured in every way but was still frequently looked over. Those songs you mentioned are some of the best by anyone, anywhere. Much of the brilliant material on "All Things Must Pass" were songs looked over by Martin, Lennon and McCartney. George's frustration boiled over on that amazing collection of songs and he held his own with some of the most respected musician of his day. The "quiet Beatle" had finally found his voice.

I don't think the Beatles were treating Geoge this way intentionally, although many accuse them of doing so. I believe that they were on a rocket ship, all four of them. The great thing is they managed to take us all with them! 

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

Jack Dodds, 100Ford2003, TerrySlekar and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
TerrySlekar
(@terryslekar)
Noble Member

…and George eventually soared to become one of the finest slide guitar players ever!

Zeeky Banutski

ReplyQuote
100Ford2003
(@100ford2003)
Famed Member

How good to hear of everyone's thoughts and memories of the Fab 4 !! 

Steve 

Now go watch "The Concert for George' !!

ReplyQuote
Geoff Jowett
(@geoff-jowett)
Famed Member

@jkuvakas great post John, I was 12 when Love Me Do was released. And yep along with all my friends of the same age, immediately hooked. Their 1964 tour of Australia is regarded as a real significant social history event here. Crazy few days. There are a number of docos and articles on the tour, worth a look.

ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Famed Member Admin
Topic starter  

@geoff-jowett, thanks. I'm still trying to find the time to watch the Peter Jackson "Get Back" docu. But I'll look those up as well. 

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

ReplyQuote
Allan Ording
(@67gto)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @jkuvakas

@geoff-jowett, thanks. I'm still trying to find the time to watch the Peter Jackson "Get Back" docu. But I'll look those up as well. 

John you'd better schedule extra time. The recording studio conversations and interactions were a little hard to follow at times (for me). Great documentary and a must for Beatle fans. "The Concert for George" is incredible as Steve said.

ReplyQuote
TerrySlekar
(@terryslekar)
Noble Member

Posted by: @67gto
Posted by: @jkuvakas

‘“…the recording studio conversations and interactions were a little hard to follow at times (for me)…”

…perhaps, but we’ll worth the watch no matter how you slice it…

Zeeky Banutski

Allan Ording, John Kuvakas, Allan Ording and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: