The CARS of FIFTY-EIGHT

15 Posts
5 Users
20 Likes
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I've always liked the CARS of FIFTY-EIGHT because they were different.  All of them!  There were no two '58's that looked alike.  They were wild with chrome, fins and gadgets.  The buying public (or perhaps better said non-buying public) certainly had comments and opinions a plenty about every Brand's cars for '58.  I think it's safe to say that there was never another year before or after 1958 that offered such an assortment of outlandish designs and for that reason alone their place in automotive history is cemented, likely forever.  

JEFF KOCH of Hemmings CLASSIC CAR magazine provides this nice overview of the good, the bad, and the ugly.  And he offers some insightful reasons why it wasn't just the styling of the cars that prevented them from being better received than they were.  

img614
img615
img616
img617
img618
img619

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

Galen55, John Merritt, Pete Rovero and 7 people reacted
John Bono
(@sizedoesmatter)
Illustrious Member

1958 was a great year for cars. Too many favorites to list, but my two top picks are the Chevrolet Impala and the Pontiac Bonneville.

John Bono
North Jersey

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

@sizedoesmatter  John; Chevy and Poncho are my top faves as well.  Unlike George, I think that 1958 was not as great a year for automotive styling in America compared to the 3 or 4 years before and after.  IMO the styling duds for '58 were Olds, Buick, Mercury and Lincoln.  In '59 Olds and Buick styling recovered very well; Mercury not until '60 and Lincoln not until '61.  Just one person's opinion though.....I still enjoy them at car shows as a representation of the era.

John Bono and John Bono reacted
ReplyQuote
John Bono
(@sizedoesmatter)
Illustrious Member

@jack-dodds - Jack, we all like different things, and as they say that's what makes the world interesting. I like the overdone '58 Buick and Olds and the radically designed '58 - '60 Lincoln. I dislike the '58 Mercury, while I love the '57....go figure.

John Bono
North Jersey

ReplyQuote
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @jack-dodds

@sizedoesmatter  John; Chevy and Poncho are my top faves as well.  Unlike George, I think that 1958 was not as great a year for automotive styling in America compared to the 3 or 4 years before and after.  IMO the styling duds for '58 were Olds, Buick, Mercury and Lincoln.  In '59 Olds and Buick styling recovered very well; Mercury not until '60 and Lincoln not until '61.  Just one person's opinion though.....I still enjoy them at car shows as a representation of the era.

All opinions are appreciated and welcome.  Whatever our likes and dislikes are for cars, it's always great discussions.  

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

John Bono and John Bono reacted
ReplyQuote
Brush
(@brush)
Famed Member

OK I will be negative as usual!  And to repeat myself, the only cars i actually hate are the '58 Olds & Buick.  Neutral on the Chevy & Pontiac.  The Caddy I love the series 62 but dislike the ElDorado & Fleetwood.  Dislike the Lincoln & the Mercury & the Edsel, but like the Ford.  Love the DeSoto & Dodge, Neutral on the Chrysler & Plymouth.  A lot of cars I don't appreciate the styling/design but, the only year in the 50's & 60's I actually hate a car is '58.  Maybe because I have seen too many with the diving platform/butt wart on them.

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

@georgeschire  Quite right George.  If we all liked the same cars it would make for some very boring car shows!  lol.

ReplyQuote
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @brush

OK I will be negative as usual!  And to repeat myself, the only cars i actually hate are the '58 Olds & Buick.  Neutral on the Chevy & Pontiac.  The Caddy I love the series 62 but dislike the ElDorado & Fleetwood.  Dislike the Lincoln & the Mercury & the Edsel, but like the Ford.  Love the DeSoto & Dodge, Neutral on the Chrysler & Plymouth.  A lot of cars I don't appreciate the styling/design but, the only year in the 50's & 60's I actually hate a car is '58.  Maybe because I have seen too many with the diving platform/butt wart on them.

I'm sad.  I was going to surprise you with a nice restored '58 Oldsmobile for Christmas.  But no problem, I'll keep it for myself.  Smile

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

ReplyQuote
Brush
(@brush)
Famed Member

@georgeschire: Thank you, one of the two cars I would say no thank to.  If it is in good shape and free I would gladly accept any car but the '58 pair.  On second thought, please get me the '58 Olds. so I can trade it for a '58  DeSoto.  No never mind, you like them so much please keep it, you will appreciate it much more than I would, make me happy to see you happy.

ReplyQuote
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@brush, always remember it's not the gift that matters, it's the thought that does.  Smile  

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

ReplyQuote
Brush
(@brush)
Famed Member

Posted by: @georgeschire

@brush, always remember it's not the gift that matters, it's the thought that does.  Smile  

Whats the thought of the person who gives another person a gift they know the receiving person dislikes?

ReplyQuote
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Whats the thought of the person who gives another person a gift they know the receiving person dislikes?

LOL, point made.  But what if I didn't know you didn't like '58 Oldsmobile's, but know that you're an old car lover?  So I try to be nice and give you a nice gift, and you tell m you hate it.  Shocked  

Just teasing with you.  I understand what you're saying.  

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

ReplyQuote
Bill Juffernbruch
(@bill-juffernbruch)
Estimable Member

If I could own one of them today, it would be the Studebaker Hawk. 

ReplyQuote
Brush
(@brush)
Famed Member

LOL, point made.  But what if I didn't know you didn't like '58 Oldsmobile's, but know that you're an old car lover?  So I try to be nice and give you a nice gift, and you tell m you hate it.  Shocked  

No, in reality I would thank you very much  and accept the gift.  Within a couple of years I would find a car I love and hopefully trade it.  But I would not be driving it much if at all. Besides nobody gives me large expensive gifts, I am the one usually giving the gifts, 5 kids, 13 grandkids 7 cars given away. 

Yes I understand we both are teasing.

ReplyQuote
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

No, in reality I would thank you very much  and accept the gift.  Within a couple of years I would find a car I love and hopefully trade it.  But I would not be driving it much if at all. Besides nobody gives me large expensive gifts, I am the one usually giving the gifts, 5 kids, 13 grandkids 7 cars given away. 

Yes I understand we both are teasing.

LOL, I've only got 2 kids and 2 grandkids, and I've given away 4 cars.  Guess that's what parents/grandparents do.  Smile

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

Brush and Brush reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: