"Ernst Piëch Salutes His Grandpa" or "The Archduke Drives a Porsche"... [PIC]

7 Posts
4 Users
7 Likes
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Emil Jellinek founded the Mercedes Electric Company named for his daughter. He brought Ferdinand Porsche from Daimler of Vienna to build the MAJA automobile named for his second daughter. Porsche designed and built the 4.5 liter 4 cylinder 35hp engine for the MAJA. 150 of the first generation chain driven MAJAs were built for Jellinek but none were sold because of gear problems.  The Austro-Hungarian Archduke Leopold Salvator was given the task to motorize the Imperial Army and worked with Porsche and Eduard Fischer to revamp the MAJA to make it reliable  and created the Austro-Daimler AD 28/25. This model is of the Archduke's personal car with coachwork by Carl Czerny.

This model is one of two 1/18 models commissioned Ferdinand's grandson, Ernst Piëch, that Porsche designed for Austro-Daimler. The other was a race car, the "Prinz Heinrich" which I'll show next post.

Austro Daimler Maja 017
1 Austro Daimler Maja 009
Austro Daimler Maja 004 001
Austro Daimler Maja 019
Austro Daimler Maja 008
Austro Daimler Maja 010
Austro Daimler Maja 016 001
Austro Daimler Maja 021
Austro Daimler Maja 013
Austro Daimler Maja 014
Austro Daimler Maja 020
Austro Daimler Maja 012
Austro Daimler Maja 009
Austro Daimler Maja 006
Austro Daimler Maja 003
Austro Daimler Maja 018
IMG 1193 3 893

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago 2 times by Rich Sufficool

David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member

What a fine model Rich. I take it that this replica is based on a car currently in the United Kingdom based on the licence plate and British road licence attached. Thanks once again for presenting a great model with an interesting story line.

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@david-green Yes. It's a one-off coach work made as the personal car of Archduke Leopold.

David Green reacted
ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

Love the story and model Rich. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Famed Member

What the hell?  Where did you continue to find these obscure models?  Rich, you quest to feature the "unknown" & unique continues to amaze me. A beautiful replica (made better with your dry-brush enhancements 😉) that's a true stand out.  Those roof-mounted tires and fine-mesh surround look right at home atop this traveling, chain-driving exclusive automobile.

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@chris I'm glad you find these models and their backstories as interesting as I do. I guess a lot my collection lies somewhere between esoteric and arcane. It was never a goal, it just worked out that way.

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Famed Member

Posted by: @rich-sufficool

@chris I'm glad you find these models and their backstories as interesting as I do. I guess a lot my collection lies somewhere between esoteric and arcane. It was never a goal, it just worked out that way.

...well now, I didn't say I understood everything, I just enjoy reading about it. LoL 😀 😀 😏    (Your excellent pics are still the best!)

ReplyQuote
Share: