Fritz's Rocket... [PIC]

8 Posts
4 Users
24 Likes
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Fritz von Opel strapped himself into this 24 rocket powered car at the Avus Speedway near Berlin in 1928 packing 264 lbs of explosives that, providing 3 minutes of thrust propelled him to 278 km/hr. This exhibition run before a crowd of dignities and celebrities was done more to demonstrate the potential of rocketry for air and space travel that would be ultimately used in WWll's V-2 ballistic missile and the Messerschmidt 261 Komet interceptor. The third iteration, the RAK 3 was a rail car. Basic aerodynamics at the time touted the bullet as the most drag-free design and the downward turned wings and small front air dam were utilized to keep the on the ground.

RAK 2 020
RAK 2 021
RAK 2 024
RAK 2 012
RAK 2 004
RAK 2 030
RAK 2 016
RAK 2 017
RAK 2 028
RAK 2 029

This was the RAK 3 also in 1928:

RAK3 002
RAK3 026
RAK3 033
RAK3 013
RAK3 031
RAK3 004

Paul Rouffa, Mike DeTorrice, David Green and 7 people reacted
Marty Johnson
(@marty-johnson)
Noble Member

My goodness, man!  My jaw is on the floor!  You must have the most eclectic model car collection on the planet Earth!  

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@marty-johnson It goes well with my Flash Gordon and Ming spaceships.  It's very Fritz Lang-ish. Note the "Maria" robot from "Metropolis".

Marty Johnson, john barry, Marty Johnson and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Noble Member

I'll echo Marty's thoughts...   I know my replicas pretty well Rich, but you (YOU!) seem to pull models from thin air or find them hiding is whole cloth! Just where you get these obscure recreations is beyond me. You never fail to surprise me.

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@chris They're mostly interesting designs that really stuck with me as a kid. Things like the Martian machines from "War of the Worlds", the Nautilus from "20000 Leagues Under the Sea", the space ship XR-1 from Disney's "Tomorrowland" the old Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers matinee serials, old German Sci-Fi movies like Metropolis and "Frau Im Mond". That last movie has a space ship that looks like that Opel. Not a coincidence that Fritz Lang was one of the dignitaries invited to the unveiling of the RAK 2. A lot of these models were available as resin kits by fairly local (but very talented) artists that sold their "garage kits" at local shows to avoid licensing fees. I used to go to those shows twice a year and if you saw something extraordinary, you bought it on the spot because you'd never see it again.

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Noble Member

...that helps to explain "your condition."  LoL   (Thanks! 😀 )

ReplyQuote
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Famed Member

Incredibly cool rocket cars ! Who did these Opels ?

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@mikedetorrice Best of Show (BOS) I forgot who did the 1/43 Rak3

ReplyQuote
Share: