New toy! Kyosho XKE Jaguar

8 Posts
5 Users
12 Likes
Marty Johnson
(@marty-johnson)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

This Kyosho XKE just arrived from Mint Models.  I've been waiting in anxious anticipation to receive it because I was hoping it could replace my Autoart XKE.  I wanted to replace the XKE because uncharacteristically, Autoart got the scaling of the tires and wheels wrong.  They're too small.  However, after seeing the Kyosho up close, the replacement ain't gonna happen.  

Except in two areas, I think the Autoart XKE is superior to the Kyosho in every way.  The Kyosho is better with the more accurately scaled wheels.  The grill area is better as well because the Autoart has two metal mounting areas that are painted red and it interferes with the natural opening as was designed by Jaguar.  Aside from those two points, I believe the Autoart is better in every way.  Points to notice for the Autoart column are better wire wheels, hood scoop grill, opening fuel filler door, interior details, engine details, and rear hatch.  The Autoart also has a better and lower stance. Check 'em out and tell me what think.  

Side Side view
3 Qtr Front Green
Side view
Front
Hood Scoop
Fuel Filler
Interior Green
Interior Red
Engine
Hatch View
Rear Vew
3 Qtr Rear

David Green, Mike DeTorrice, Paul Rouffa and 3 people reacted
Chav
 Chav
(@chav)
Famed Member

The rear suspension of the Kyosho looks crude but it is probably operational. AutoArt has superior interior. The license plate of the AutoArt is too big. Perhaps if you place larger tires on the AutoArt the stance will look similar. May take the tires from the Kyosho and place them on the AutoArt if the rims are compatible. Don't own any of them. There was a comparison on Scale18.com by Ulf few weeks ago. 

link: Message Board - Scale18 1/18 Scale Diecast Model Cars, Since 1997

David Green, Marty Johnson, David Green and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Marty Johnson
(@marty-johnson)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

@chav - The Autoart has an articulating suspension as well.  

Chav and Chav reacted
ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member

If the red one is AUTOart, then I agree.

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Illustrious Member

Autoart XKE hands down.... but I would lower the suspension a bit.... still seems a bit "too tall."  IMO, the Kyosho wheels ruin the entire (no pun intended ..en"tire") model.

ReplyQuote
Gavin
(@gavin)
Noble Member

Posted by: @chris

IMO, the Kyosho wheels ruin the entire (no pun intended ..en"tire") model.

Funny thing is, I think the same of the AA.  The tires are too low profile & small & the ride height is too high.  Seems like somewhere between the AA & Kyosho would be the perfect model.

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Illustrious Member

Right, neither is perfect. Apparently is extremely difficult to replicate the 1:1 timeless beauty of the legendary XKE in 1/18 scale. ☹  

ReplyQuote
Chav
 Chav
(@chav)
Famed Member

Posted by: @chris

Right, neither is perfect. Apparently is extremely difficult to replicate the 1:1 timeless beauty of the legendary XKE in 1/18 scale. ☹  

True, but it is lame to fail on the wheels ...

Amalgam got it right, but at $900 few people can enjoy it. Sad  

I hope these are wire wheels rather than PE wheels, at this price. And of course it it curbside model.

ReplyQuote
Share: