Amazing New Arrival!

This is the 1934 Duesenberg Dual Cowl Phaeton Black in 1:18 scale by Signature Models.

Order yours today! 👇

https://bit.ly/3LKsYPm

(Pics) '66 Mercury ...

Notifications
Clear all

(Pics) '66 Mercury Cyclone top-up

Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Here are the results so far of putting a convertible top-up on my Yat Ming '66 Cyclone. I went with painting the top black, using a wide brush and acrylic paint. There are several things I wanted to remark on.

(1) I am generally happy with the results, but it probably would have produced a better end look if I had used my airbrush and sprayed the color on. However, I didn't really want to remove the top for this, so I used a brush and masked off certain areas.

(2) The strobe/flash photos highlight several areas that should be touched up or re-coated, as the two coats I used left some thin spots. However, most of these aren't really noticable when viewed normally, so I will limit the touch ups to avoid diminishing returns.

(3) A couple of spots at the rear of the top could benefit from another layer of fill-in material to close gaps visible at low angles.

Photo Series 5 7 22 II 001mod1YDZ
Photo Series 5 7 22 II 006mod1YDZ
Photo Series 5 7 22 II 004mod1YDZ

Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Honorable Member

Top-up convertibles always look good to me; this one is no exception. This could be a "slippery slope" for you Mike as you're known more for your pics than for your "mods." For your next 1/18 diecast convertible modification I can provide numerous tips for authentically and accurately replicating, in scale, with aluminum & brass, a working "CMC-level" articulating frame and roof rails for that perfect, working 1/18 scale convertible top. You'll love it!

ReplyQuote
100Ford2003
(@100ford2003)
Noble Member

Has anyone here ever had the Maisto BMW 325 with that amazing working convertible top ?

Not bad for its price. Mike, your Comet looks great !

Steve

ReplyQuote
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Noble Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @chris

Top-up convertibles always look good to me; this one is no exception. This could be a "slippery slope" for you Mike as you're known more for your pics than for your "mods." For your next 1/18 diecast convertible modification I can provide numerous tips for authentically and accurately replicating, in scale, with aluminum & brass, a working "CMC-level" articulating frame and roof rails for that perfect, working 1/18 scale convertible top. You'll love it!

LOL, yes, I am not an experienced modder, so basic projects and maybe a tweak or two with this '66 Cyclone will be probably my limit here ! However, if I do decide to try some particular modification project, Chris, I will certainly check in with you for some tips.

ReplyQuote
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Noble Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @100ford2003

Has anyone here ever had the Maisto BMW 325 with that amazing working convertible top ?

Not bad for its price. Mike, your Comet looks great !

Steve

Thanks, Steve ! I haven't seen in person their BMW 325, but Maisto is certainly capable of really giving value in their bargain price/detail range.

ReplyQuote
Share:

Amazing New Arrival!

This is the 1934 Duesenberg Dual Cowl Phaeton Black in 1:18 scale by Signature Models.

Order yours today! 👇

https://bit.ly/3LKsYPm