an Armenian Rhapsody.... [PIC]

6 Posts
5 Users
20 Likes
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

from the mind of our car guru and all around Renaissance Man, Raffi Minasian, came the fabulous 'phantom' 1039 Duesenberg Coupe Simone. It sports the incredible Art Deco coachwork of the fictitious 'House of Emmett-Armand", renowned French coachbuilders built on a late '30s SJ chassis. Batman's Joker would love the exterior color combo with that huge grinning grill. The interior is lavishly designed from the dash with its Lucite steering wheel, sumptuous pastel upholstery to the 'trunk' behind the seats. The man who would have commissioned this automobile definitely wanted to be seen.

The real backstory on this model, for me, begs the question: "How did he manage to get this model approved over all the non-car people in marketing and accounting. Raffi must have had the clout with the Resnick family to pull this off. To mark his time with the Franklin Mint during its halcyon days, this model, for me, is his legacy.

Simone 002
Simone 044
Simone 036
Simone 040
Simone 008
Simone 009
Simone 010 002
Simone 002

Simone 047 001
Simone 006
Simone 009
Simone 012
Simone 031
Simone 016 001
Simone 005
Simone 017

Tony Perrone, Pete Rovero, Bob Jackman and 5 people reacted
John Napoli
(@carsman1958)
Famed Member

John great photos as usual, but not a fan of this design.   

ReplyQuote
Geoff Jowett
(@geoff-jowett)
Famed Member

I still remember first reading the original brochure all those years ago, seeing the cars pictures then reading its story, only to find out in the last lines it's all fake! Never seen the model's detail like this before, looks fantastic, thanks Rich.

ReplyQuote
john barry
(@john-barry)
Illustrious Member

It seems like my second wife had one of those Rich.......darned thing would REALLY go through the C-Cell batteries Formal Smile  

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

Heaviest 1/24 scale car in my collection. I still remember my UPS driver asking if I was collecting bricks.

Tony Perrone, Pete Rovero, Rich Sufficool and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

BTW: I just got a bit of backstory from Raffi on the Coupe Simone. It was a collaborative effort between Raffi and Roger Hardnock. Although it was just a private project between the two, when Lynda Resnick saw the drawings, she went right to the FM design review and ordered it made in 1/24 saying it was the most beautiful thing she's ever seen on wheels.

ReplyQuote
Share: