Dueling Blackhawks... [PIC]

7 Posts
3 Users
20 Likes
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Like the dueling Jaguar XK120s, when Franklin Mint released their 1928 Stutz Boat Tail roadster, Danbury Mint suddenly was hawking a "Me Too" 1927 version of the same car for $10 less. It was definitely looking like a case of industrial espionage. I mean, what are the odds? Anyway compared to FM's more refined model, the DM iteration looks like it was cobbled together by an amateur model builder. The model lacked FM's parts count and the black paint had an orange peel finish that I don't think would have passed Bburago's QC at the time. Like the XK120, I did buy them both as the ad photography for the DM was, shall we say, over-flattering.

Stutz 004
Stutz 016
Stutz 006
StutzDM 023
StutzDM 020
StutzDM 024
Stutz 020 001
Stutz 018
StutzDM 016
StutzDM 002
StutzDM 015
Stutz 008 001
Stutz 012
Stutz 009 001
StutzDM 012
Stutz 029
Stutz 027
StutzDM 022

David Green, Chav, Tony Perrone and 5 people reacted
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

Have both, love both.

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@bob-jackman Bless you, Bob. Is there any model you DON'T love (that doesn't have numbers on it)?

Chav and Chav reacted
ReplyQuote
Geoff Jowett
(@geoff-jowett)
Famed Member

I have both too, and pleased to have them. I can never understand why the mints produced so many models of the same or very very similar cars. It did/does not make business sense, how big is the market, apart from us 3, for 2 1/24 Stutz Blackhawks? And of course collectors were crying out for models of so many different cars. As always fantastic pics, thanks Rich.

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@geoff-jowett That was DM's marketing strategy in the very early days.... find out what image FM is developing and quickly get a similar one to coincide and make it cheaper. They did the same thing with the Jag XK120. FM did a 1952 and DM came out almost simultaneously with a 1949 model... $10 cheaper.

Tony Perrone, David Green, Tony Perrone and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

@rich-sufficool  Very few.

ReplyQuote
Geoff Jowett
(@geoff-jowett)
Famed Member

Posted by: @rich-sufficool

@geoff-jowett That was DM's marketing strategy in the very early days.... find out what image FM is developing and quickly get a similar one to coincide and make it cheaper. They did the same thing with the Jag XK120. FM did a 1952 and DM came out almost simultaneously with a 1949 model... $10 cheaper.

interesting, but strange business tactics nontheless, thanks.

ReplyQuote
Share: