New Clothes for the Standard of the World

15 Posts
13 Users
74 Likes
Pete Rovero
(@pete-rovero)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I had two black 1955 Cadillac Fleetwood sedans and one had a lot of paint rash, making it a perfect candidate for a repaint.  After figuring out how to take it apart I stripped it of its black paint. This is what the raw casting looks like after stripping:

The casting is cleaned up with a 3M scuffing pad and is ready for primer-sealer:

All primed and sealed, ready for color:

Hmmm, now what color?  I always liked Goddess Gold.  There was a 1956 Coupe de Ville in that color with an Alpine White top that would show up at the local cruise night.  I thought it looked nice, so that was my initial color combo choice.  However, after checking out the available colors for the 1955 Cadillac on Autocolorlibrary.com, I changed my mind on the top color and went with Tangier Tan Poly, a bit bolder than white, but I felt it blended really well with the brown interior.  The following pics are with color and clear coat.

The tops of the doors should be painted to match the roof color according to all of the pictures of these cars that I've seen, so Franklin Mint got this wrong on the Elvis and Mint Green Caddys.  This required painting the panel under the roof Tangier Tan as the edges of the panel shows when the doors are opened.  Here is the body masked up for color, and the tops of the doors painted.

The body is then unmasked and remasked to paint the radiator core support in matt black.  Hood and trunk undersides, and A/C intakes finished. Chassis assembled also.

Here's the completed car, but I hated the wheels.  The Cadillac wheel cover hides the whole rim of the tire as seen on the green 1:1, so I took the car apart to fix this issue.

So now HERE is the finished product.  I'd add more pictures, but I got a message telling me I exceeded the maximum pictures per post.  I hope you enjoy this Standard of the World in its new clothes!

IMG 1437
IMG 1439
IMG 1404
IMG 1402
IMG 1409
IMG 1412
IMG 1414
IMG 1415
IMG 1440
IMG 1441
IMG E1373

Jim McDonald, John Bono, 100Ford2003 and 17 people reacted
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

Beautiful job...very impressive!

Tony Perrone, Pete Rovero, Tony Perrone and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
John Merritt
(@jcarnutz)
Illustrious Member

Amazing. Your work is always so spectacular. This is probably my favorite of what I've seen so far. 

John Merritt
South Lyon, Michigan - USA

Tony Perrone, Pete Rovero, john barry and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
john barry
(@john-barry)
Illustrious Member

Your paint looks a mile deep and the choice of colors is inspired.....that by itself is a wondrous accomplishment.....add to that the disassembly/reassembly and your efforts have resulted in an over-the-top production.....this post must go into a series of stickys if ever we designate one 

picture 1373....did it require special efforts to keep the metallic in suspension so perfectly?

copper

100Ford2003, Tony Perrone, Pete Rovero and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Noble Member

Beautiful model!

Ed Davis
Inverness, Illinois, USA

ReplyQuote
John Napoli
(@carsman1958)
Famed Member

Pete, you do some amazing work.  Wish I had your talent.

ReplyQuote
Geoff Jowett
(@geoff-jowett)
Famed Member

Absolute masterpiece! I hung on every word of this post Pete along with long deliberations on the pics. Thanks Pete 

ReplyQuote
Jack Daniels
(@jack-daniels)
Eminent Member

Hi Pete

Really great paint job, I especially like the roof color.  Noticed the paint cup, couple weeks ago bought some primer from them.  Keep up the good work, really nice to see people making stuff.

JD

ReplyQuote
Pete Rovero
(@pete-rovero)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks all for your generous comments!  One thing I was unable to find during my web searches was the correct "Fleetwood" script for the trunk, so I used the Cadillac crest found on lesser models in its place.  I actually like it better, it fits nicely in the "V" as compared to the script.

@john-barry 

I use an automotive water-based paint for the color coat which sprays out and flows very nicely, one light coat, then two medium coats.  Once it dries, a couple of catalyzed clear coats and it's done.  so basically, it's nothing that I did.

100Ford2003, Tony Perrone, 100Ford2003 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tony Perrone
(@perrone1)
Admin

Spectacular Pete!

ReplyQuote
Geno
 Geno
(@geno)
Reputable Member

Pete there aren't enough words to state how amazing this turned out. An absolute stunner. Great job. In Love  

Pete Rovero, Tony Perrone, Pete Rovero and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

Pete every time you post a new project it makes me proud to know I own one of your masterpieces. The Caddy is fabulous.

Pete Rovero, Tony Perrone, Pete Rovero and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
john barry
(@john-barry)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @pete-rovero

@john-barry 

I use an automotive water-based paint for the color coat which sprays out and flows very nicely, one light coat, then two medium coats.  Once it dries, a couple of catalyzed clear coats and it's done.  so basically, it's nothing that I did.

Thank you Pete.........it`s EVERYTHING that you did !!!!  Shock  

ReplyQuote
Greg
 Greg
(@diecast1-24cars)
Reputable Member

WOW.... amazing workmanship..

ReplyQuote
John Bono
(@sizedoesmatter)
Illustrious Member

Hands of gold! 100 times better than the original issue.

John Bono
North Jersey

ReplyQuote
Share: