Cruise to the holiday weekend with this new arrival!

This is the 1961 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Open top Jade Metallic in 1:43 scale by Stamp Models.

Order yours today! 👇

https://bit.ly/3OMNnVO

1959 Edsel sedan 1:...

Notifications
Clear all

1959 Edsel sedan 1:1 and 1:43

John Quilter
(@john-quilter)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Spotted this 1959 Edsel Ranger sedan at a weekend auto club picnic and finally got a shot of one similar to my model, a kit from Western Models.

1959 Edsel #1
1959 Edsel #2

1959 Edsel Ranger

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Prominent Member

John Q, since I entered 1/43 scale modeling later than you, I never saw an unassembled (as purchased) Western Models Kit.  Do you have any pictures of what this model or another one looked like as purchased? I am curious about how much work had to be done.  For example, did you have to paint it, apply any metal foil, or just assemble pre-finished parts?  Nice to see the photos of model and real car.

Ed Davis
Inverness, Illinois, USA

ReplyQuote
John Quilter
(@john-quilter)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ed Davis,  Most all of my Western Models were purchased as kits I built or sometimes modified them, decades ago.  The were typical white metal kits, not painted but some parts were chromed.   I often used bare metal foil on them to improve the looks.   I sometimes had to beg Mike Stevens to sell me the kits as he preferred to sell fully built up models (at much higher prices), but I assured him I was not going to build and flip them in competition with him!   Sometimes he would relent and make up some  kits for me when I visited his "factory" in Taunton.   As with many of these low production white metal kits there was some fetteling to get them exactly right but I always enjoyed that work.  Here's one I made from a sedan to a station wagon.  

1958 Chrysler wagon

And here's a 1959 Desoto four door hardtop made from a two door hardtop

1959 Desotos X 3 #1
1959 Desotos X3 #2

And here are a few 1959 Fords,  all modifications of the Ranchero shown.   Mike liked the Country Squire so much he later went into production with one of his own!

1959 Fords X3 #1

I have no unbuilt Western kits, they have not been available for decades but here is a K&R white metal kit of a Austin Healey 3000, Western kits were similar.  i greatly lament that the type of kits Western made are not common these days.  Seems the hobby is made up mostly of buy, photograph, display people with no interest in the craft of building and modifying.  If I could buy dozens of old long out of production Brooklins I could do some very interesting projects with them.   There are only a few Promod items currently available from what I can tell and no American cars.

K&R kit Healy 3000
This post was modified 1 month ago by John Quilter

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

John Merritt, David Green, Ed Davis and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Ken Spear
(@kenspear)
Reputable Member

@ed-davis. Ed, here is a Western Model kit of a 1959 Desoto Adventurer. I started the kit hoping to make it into a '59 Desoto Fireflite. Basically the same car with different trim. I have however, hit a road block. I recently noticed that the  cellulose front windshield was missing. I can't proceed until I find a replacement windshield. So if anyone reading this has a '59 Desoto windshield in there parts bin, I will gladly purchase it from you. The Western Model kit of American cars are getting very hard to find. As John said, they were made many years ago.I have made about 6 kits in the past couple of years but found all the decals to be worthless due to their age. I will also point out that they are not that difficult to build. Very little if any glue is required. They are similar to Brooklins in that most parts are held together by the base plate which it is screwed to the body.Automotive paint in spray cans can be used (body must be primed first) however an airbrush and compressor gives you better control.The hardest part I found when constructing is the accurate attachment of the roof. Some adjustments are usually required to get them to fit properly.

IMG 0001
IMG 0004
IMG 0002

This post was modified 1 month ago by Ken Spear

ReplyQuote
Michel Lemieux
(@michel-lemieux)
Reputable Member

Here is one WM 1959 Edsel Corsair. I have always liked this color scheme. I have one but white over Red.

933933791 098c96383c b

ReplyQuote
Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Prominent Member

John, Ken, Michel,

Thank you all for your replies. Looks like the three of you made some very nice models from these kits.

This post was modified 1 month ago by Ed Davis

Ed Davis
Inverness, Illinois, USA

ReplyQuote
John Quilter
(@john-quilter)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

@kenspear  As to the problems with old decals, I would recommend spraying them with Testors Decal Bonder which is a clear coat that strengthens the decal.  Let dry then sloak and apply as normal.

As to the windscreen,  I have made these out of the clear plastic clamshell food containers.  Look for one with approximately the right curvature. Bend and cut to suit.   Glue in with white glue that dries clear.  Mine are not always perfect but they suffice.  The real expert on this technique is Graeme Ogg who has made some GREAT fitting ones with his technique.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

ReplyQuote
David H
(@d-m-holcombe)
Trusted Member

John, Ken, and other builders:  I really enjoy your pictures and I am amazed at your modifications.  Years ago I built the Revell Highway Pioneers, and now I'm having fun returning to kit building (albeit on an amature level!).  Right now I'm working on a Roman racing chariot.  It's not quite 1/43 but pretty close.  It's been a while since my last Western, for as you both know, they're kind of expensive now and also hard to find.  This note is just to encourage you both and others to keep building, keep taking pictures, and keep on posting.  

IMG 7583

(later)  Looking for something else, I just found this old Western Models Corvette, a project car I've stuck back for another day.  And I just bought another kit, a Western Jaguar D-Type, on the 'bay. That goes into the "one of these days" closet.

IMG 7584
This post was modified 1 month ago 3 times by David H

ReplyQuote
John Quilter
(@john-quilter)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

And another Edsel, a conversion of a Brooklin 1958 Citation 2 door hardtop into a four door.

1958 Edsel #1
1958 Edsel #2
1958 Edsel Citation #2

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

Domi7777, Harv Goranson, Ed Davis and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Share:

Cruise to the holiday weekend with this new arrival!

This is the 1961 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Open top Jade Metallic in 1:43 scale by Stamp Models.

Order yours today! 👇

https://bit.ly/3OMNnVO