1940-1941 Checker Model A

14 Posts
8 Users
74 Likes
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I know Jim, and I have no financial interest in these, but I thought someone here would have mentioned these already.  On the previous Forum 43 years ago, we all wanted to see someone do this one!  Well, it's finally happened!  This is the one with the convertible in the rear section!  WoW is all I can say.

https://www.automodello.com/1940-to-1941-Checker-Model-A-Chicago-Taxi-1-43-p/43c401.htm

43C401 9

Ed Davis, Mike DeTorrice, David H and 13 people reacted
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member

Great to see. I have several Checkers. This looks like an excellent addition.

Jack Dodds, John Kuvakas, Ed Davis and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Famed Member

Very nice ! What a fascinating and exceptionally cool addition to a 1/43 collection. Being a Chicago Checker taxi is especially neat.

John Kuvakas, Ed Davis, Karl Schnelle and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
John Merritt
(@jcarnutz)
Illustrious Member

Do these have an expected date of arrival?

John Merritt
South Lyon, Michigan - USA

ReplyQuote
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

@jcarnutz Website does not say, so you'd have to ask Automodello...

ReplyQuote
Paul Rouffa
(@paul-rouffa)
Prominent Member

I’d take the New York livery for the color.

John Kuvakas, Karl Schnelle, John Kuvakas and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
John Merritt
(@jcarnutz)
Illustrious Member

@karl 

Thanks Karl. I hesitate with pre-orders for Automodello because the shipment dates are sometimes months and months (or years) away from the model's release date.

John Merritt
South Lyon, Michigan - USA

ReplyQuote
Randy Rusk
(@randyrusk)
Prominent Member

@jcarnutz Just got off the phone with Jim at Automodello. Here's what he said: "They are in build and when the logistics gods align, they will be here."

In these times of limited runs, it is always a sound business strategy to have a group of buyers already lined up. There is strong interest in this model by the Checker Car Club, and Jim is intending to have them available at least by their August 3-6 meet in Kalamazoo, MI (also Checker's 100th anniversary), including a New York version.

He did say that for those who pre-order, he'll have those flown over to the US (rather than shipped by water) so anyone who puts in their order now, as I just did, will be among the first to receive one.

And kudos to Jim's photographer. Anybody wanna guess who got all these great shots?

This post was modified 3 months ago 3 times by Randy Rusk

Frank Reed, Mike DeTorrice, David Green and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

@randyrusk You? 🤨 

ReplyQuote
Randy Rusk
(@randyrusk)
Prominent Member

@karl I originally ordered the green one… but I may get the yellow one, too. That’s my definition of downsizing.

John Kuvakas, Karl Schnelle, John Kuvakas and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
JayGolan
(@jaygolan)
Reputable Member

I thought Dick Brown was working with someone to manufacture these but the deal fell through. IIRC they even had pre-orders. I wouldn't mind buying a Chicago one. They sure have a bizarre front end. There are no taxi survivors but there is one limousine.

Vintage Photo & Video: 1940 Checker Model A Landaulet – Open Top, Bizarre Front End | Curbside Classic

John Quilter, Karl Schnelle, John Quilter and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Famed Member Admin

Dick was originally working with Automodello. This model has been a long time coming. I got a peek at the prototype. It is spectacular and worth the wait!

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

Mike DeTorrice, JayGolan, Karl Schnelle and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
JayGolan
(@jaygolan)
Reputable Member

That yellow taxi also looks like a Chicago Yellow cab.  Checker Cab and Yellow Cab were owned by Morris Markin, who also owned Checker Motor Car of Kalamazoo. They owned over 80 percent of the taxi licenses in the city of Chicago. His son David Markin closed the production of Checker Cabs in 1982. Checker continued to make stampings for GM trucks. It went bankrupt in 2009.

Karl Schnelle, Frank Reed, Mike DeTorrice and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Randy Rusk
(@randyrusk)
Prominent Member

@karl And no, I didn’t take the pics… but the person who did posts his here regularly.

ReplyQuote
Share: