1962 GAZ 16A Hover Vehicle by Autocult

7 Posts
3 Users
36 Likes
Paul Rouffa
(@paul-rouffa)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

When I worked at the Defense Department during the Carter administration, I was spellbound by the grainy photos of experimental Soviet naval craft such as the Caspian Sea Monster.

Kaspiysk rd 1968

The GAZ 16A was a few years before it but fascinating nonetheless.

"The Unique Soviet Development - the Flying Volga GAZ 16a" 

Here's what Autocult has to say about it:

It's now an open secret that the Soviet Union researched and developed many things to gain a strategic military advantage. Over the years, many weird prototypes, possibly classified as top secret at the time, have been unveiled, giving us interesting insights into the past. One of the weirdest prototypes was the GAZ 16A. Its name comes from the Gorky Automobile Factory where it was assembled; GAZ was founded in 1932 and manufactured specialty vehicles such as trucks, passenger cars and amphibious vehicles. During the Cold War era of the 1950s, GAZ began to handle development work. In the early 1960s, they began to manufacture hovercraft. While GAZ engineers knew the conceptual difficulties of hovercraft, they were still able to design a usable body for the new vehicle. Two propellers at the front and rear lifted the vehicle off the ground, and two large propulsion propellers generated enough wind to move the hovercraft horizontally. Engineers around the world attempted the development and concept of air cushion vehicles, but ultimately the economic and general success of the concept remained at a low level, and it was used only in a few areas.

IMG 2780
IMG 2754
IMG 2755
IMG 2759
IMG 2760
IMG 2761
IMG 2762
IMG 2763
IMG 2764
IMG 2768
IMG 2770
IMG 2771
IMG 2773
IMG 2774
IMG 2775

Randy Rusk, John Kuvakas, Karl Schnelle and 11 people reacted
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member

Like me, you love the oddballs. Great pics, sir.

Randy Rusk, John Kuvakas, Paul Rouffa and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Paul Rouffa
(@paul-rouffa)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

@rich-sufficool Thanks, Rich!

ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

Corgi made the first Hovercraft model, technically the Saunders-Roe Nautical HDL SR-N1. To give an appearance of gliding across the floor, it "floated" on ball bearings on springs sunken into the casting. All the directional air rudders rotated. The SR-N1 led to the hydrofoils that connected the UK and France in the pre-Chunnel days (I rode on one in 1981).

Corgi 1119

This post was modified 3 years ago by Harv Goranson

Randy Rusk, John Kuvakas, Karl Schnelle and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Paul Rouffa
(@paul-rouffa)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

@mg-harv Pretty cool, Harv. My photos don't show them, but there are wheels on the GAZ. And as we know, the wheels on the GAZ go round and round. Smile  

John Kuvakas, Karl Schnelle, John Kuvakas and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member

Can you imagine a model of the Caspian Sea Monster in 1/43? It would need its own cabinet.

ReplyQuote
Paul Rouffa
(@paul-rouffa)
Noble Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @rich-sufficool

Can you imagine a model of the Caspian Sea Monster in 1/43? It would need its own cabinet.

How cool would that be? Even this one is big enough, it’s too wide to fit in the 1/43 cabinets, so it’s sitting in the 1/18.

ReplyQuote
Share: