A Mercedes 230 from Plumbies & others

5 Posts
4 Users
8 Likes
David H
(@d-m-holcombe)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Attempting a little "clean up" work with an older kit model, I started wondering about the box and base information.

IMG 8985
IMG 8992
IMG 8991 (1)
IMG 8993

How many familiar or even semi-familiar names did you find?  So I scratched my head and pointed it to a little research.  Here's what I found in Model Auto Review:

MODELLCAR DANHAUSEN

Danhausen was founded in 1921 in Aachen, Germany, as a bicycle and motorcycle trader, but sold toys as a side line. In the following fifty years toys and model cars gradually took over. By the time that I visited in 1990 brothers Hans Peter and Paul Gunther had made Spielwaren Danhausen a collectors model shop which was one of the must visit locations for model collectors in Europe many of whom avidly scanned the famous catalogue produced from 1971 to 1993.

By 1974 aware of the demand from collectors the brothers decided to launch their own model ranges starting with a series of white metal kits labelled SD models. Then in conjunction with Western Models they launched the Plumbies range of 1:43 white metal kits which led to the model car danhausen range produced in packaging identical to tin wizard models. Eventually they decided that the future was in having models made fully finished in Hong Kong and taking advantage of the surge in collectors looking for this type of model. Paul’s model art was created and the Minichamps brand was born.

(for more information, see the complete article at

https://www.maronline.org.uk/modelcar-danhausen-bmw-1500/   

So there's the connection: Spielwaren Danhausen, Western Models, Plumbies , and then Tin Wizard and Minichamps.  Whew.  Thanks, Maz Wooley.  I'm still not sure if the "Made in England" refers to the model or the box.  

Now I've got to get back to cleaning up that Mercedes.

David H Exhausted  

This topic was modified 3 months ago 3 times by David H

Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

Somewhere around here I have an old Speilwaren Danhausen catalog that shows their various white metal ranges. And yes, Minichamps began as a range of white metal BMW race cars prior to the Chinese-produced diecasts.

John Kuvakas and David H reacted
ReplyQuote
John Quilter
(@john-quilter)
Famed Member

Another Plumbies, a circa 1958 Mercedes 220 coupe.  Marked number 21 on the base plate.  My inventory shows it as a kit obtained from a collector friend's estate sale February 2007.   Not sure if I built it or he built it.

1958 Mercedes 220 coupe #1
1958 Mercedes 220 coupe #2

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

John Kuvakas and David H reacted
ReplyQuote
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member

Posted by: @d-m-holcombe

... Thanks, Maz Wooley.  I'm still not sure if the "Made in England" refers to the model or the box.  

Now I've got to get back to cleaning up that Mercedes.

David H Exhausted  

David - the WM symbol on the base means Western Models so box and model made in England!

John Kuvakas reacted
ReplyQuote
David H
(@d-m-holcombe)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, Karl. 

ReplyQuote
Share: