An afternoon of fun...

Notifications
Clear all

An afternoon of fun with a Mustang 1:43 style

David Holcombe
(@d-m-holcombe)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

It's a pretty little model (a duplicate) when I took it out of storage and released it from its box:

IMG 0159
IMG 0162
IMG 0164
IMG 0165

So I've been having some fun with it this afternoon.

IMG 0167
IMG 0177
IMG 0181
IMG 0184

That meant chromed accents (parking, running, warning lights, also orange & white touches to "glass"), touches to dashboard and interior hardware with "chrome," blackwash on wheels, and probably some other little bitty things that I've already forgotten. I gave it a tag from Mississippi because those good people can enjoy a top-down experience about 50 weeks a year, leaving 2 weeks for a Mississippi-style winter.   (to be continued)

Bob Jackman, Jim McDonald, Ken Spear and 2 people liked
David Holcombe
(@d-m-holcombe)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Continuation:

Pops just showed up and said I had to do it over.  He says I got the whitewalls dirty when black-washing the wheel covers.

IMG 0186
IMG 0193

Well, maybe there isn't much difference.  But I'm going to put this modified one in the display area anyhow.

IMG 0195

Jim McDonald, Ken Spear, Harv Goranson and 6 people liked
ReplyQuote
100Ford2003
(@100ford2003)
Reputable Member

I like it !!

ReplyQuote
John Merritt
(@jcarnutz)
Noble Member

Looks like a very nice Mustang. Another one I've not seen before.

ReplyQuote
Skip Johnson
(@skip)

David, you have selected one of my favorite Solido models.  I've just always liked it, and it was certainly a good value for the money.  I just checked my records and I purchased this one in January 1997 for $10.70 -- from an outfit just down the road from you, Asheville Diecast (how's that for irony?).

I think you've done a nice upgrade here -- maybe I'll send mine down to you for similar treatment.....  Grinning  

ReplyQuote
David Holcombe
(@d-m-holcombe)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Skip, I'm holding the box mine was in right now.  I have a hunch it is a bit older than yours.  Check this out:

IMG 0196

Enjoy!    David H

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by David Holcombe

ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Reputable Member

The original Solido, issued in 1966, was a hardtop. It had an operating dome light feature, activated when a door was opened, but I never tested mine since it took an oddball battery.

Solido 147 Mustang

ReplyQuote
Chris Sweetman
(@chris-sweetman)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @mg-harv

The original Solido, issued in 1966, was a hardtop. It had an operating dome light feature, activated when a door was opened, but I never tested mine since it took an oddball battery.

Solido 147 Mustang

That oddball battery was a mercury 1.35v and a popular one for powering camera light meters until the late 1970's. My Olympus OM1 used one. On a mercury battery power didn't fluctuate during the battery's life span as is does on Alkaline ones but then this isn't as dangerous as mercury. 

BTW Harv that's an amazing model. Hopefully, when toy fairs open again in England I might find one.

This post was modified 3 days ago by Chris Sweetman

ReplyQuote
Share: