An Amazing Tool - Vampliers!

13 Posts
9 Users
44 Likes
Dave Gilbert
(@daveg)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

As we all know, many times our delicate resin models are screwed down to their plinths with impact wrenches, at which point they may as well be installed with rivets! I recently added a tool to my workbench that solves that issue in a heartbeat...Vampliers!

I looked at these for a while before buying, because the cost is an eye-watering $29 for the 5" mini pliers on Amazon. I should not have hesitated, because these are worth every penny! Not only will they loosen stuck screws like no other tool that I know of, but they are extremely well-made. I don't mind spending a little more to get really beautiful tools that will last a lifetime.

The secret is at the tip of the jaws; they are concave and serrated to grip tiny screw heads. Absolute genius! If you don't already have one of these tools, I can highly recommend it!

2022 03 30 07 08 09

Dave Gilbert
Nashville, Tennessee
dave@toycargeek.com
toycargeek.com

100Ford2003, John Merritt, Ed Davis and 9 people reacted
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member

I have used needle-nosed pliers that work pretty well, but these look much better! 👍 

John Kuvakas, Dave Gilbert, John Kuvakas and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
johnnyjewel
(@johnnyjewel)
Trusted Member

Thanks for this. My (not) favorite fastener is not for flat blade, Phillips, Torx or anything I have seen a bit for; the screw head with tri-cornered depression. I was ready to use dynamite!

ReplyQuote
Graeme Ogg
(@graeme-ogg)
Famed Member

Just by the way. if you don't have that special screwdriver for those blasted Ixo "three-spoke"screws, I've found the best solution is to use flat-ended pliers and get a firm grip not on the screw itself but the little washer under them. Press down and grip quite firmly and turn. I usually find it gives way after 2 or 3 tries. And if it still won't budge, get an old flat blade of some kind and lever up the edge of the washer in one or two places. Then the pliers will get a better grip on the turned-up edge.

Oh, and of course do it with the clear top still mounted on the base. Pressing down on the top of the case lets you apply some solid pressure to the base with the pliers without damaging the model.

Just thought I'd mention it because I know those screws drive people mad.

Graeme.M. Ogg
London U.K.

ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

@graeme-ogg Or you can just spend the $12 or so I did for a set of 6 triangular screwdrivers I found on ebay after a tip I got here a few years ago. Not every Ixo screw is the same size - I found one on the MG Metro that was much smaller than the screw holding the car to the base.

BTW Dave, great tip on the pliers.

ReplyQuote
John Merritt
(@jcarnutz)
Illustrious Member

These pliers look great. I took your advice from FaceBook and ordered a pair from Amazon. They arrived yesterday, very cool. Now I need to come across one or so of those pesky stubborn screws to see how they work.

John Merritt
South Lyon, Michigan - USA

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @mg-harv

@graeme-ogg Or you can just spend the $12 or so I did for a set of 6 triangular screwdrivers I found on ebay after a tip I got here a few years ago. Not every Ixo screw is the same size - I found one on the MG Metro that was much smaller than the screw holding the car to the base.

BTW Dave, great tip on the pliers.

What size bits do you recommend Have?

ReplyQuote
Dave Gilbert
(@daveg)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Ah yes, the bizarre alien triangular screw heads! Those little buggers prompted another purchase. This bit set had all sorts of unique bits, but I primarily got it for the 4 sizes of triangular bits, as well as the extremely fine Phillips bits. I also decided to splurge on an electric screwdriver. This does not have the torque to loosen really tight plinth screws, but once you get them broken loose this will finish the job pretty quickly. Very handy when I am dismounting a lot of cars for a photo shoot. If I need to remount a car, I find that this makes it easier to get the screw started without the twisting and fumbling. It also comes with an assortment of interchangeable bits. Amazon links below.

2022 04 08 22 37 52
2022 04 08 22 25 13
PXL 20220409 031714531

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08X9V5K2V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZB7FMLB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One last tip. When handling my cars, I always use Nitrile gloves, NOT cotton. I discovered the hard way that cotton gloves tend to snag the delicate PE parts!! I found the gloves below to be durable enough to reuse a few times, while also having a micro texture on the finger tips. Sensitivity is very good, and they are not as uncomfortable to wear for an hour or two as you might think.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F88LNC2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I hope you find these tips useful!

If the links are not working, you can search for these items on Amazon:

Bit Set: Kaisi 126 in 1 Precision Screwdriver Set with 111 Bits

Electric Screwdriver: AMIR Electric Screwdriver (Newest) 28 IN 1 Cordless Mini Power Precision Screwdriver Set

Nitrile Gloves: Framar Powder Free Nitrile Gloves – 12 INCH Black Gloves

Dave Gilbert
Nashville, Tennessee
dave@toycargeek.com
toycargeek.com

100Ford2003, David H, John Kuvakas and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Famed Member Admin

Great finds! I love the nitrile gloves tip. You're absolutely correct about cotton gloves. I keep nitrile gloves around for handling meat when I smoke it. I'll give them a try.

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

Dave Gilbert, 100Ford2003, Dave Gilbert and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
100Ford2003
(@100ford2003)
Illustrious Member

Dear Mr K,

.May I be so bold as to ask...when smoking meat...do you use rolling papers or do bong hits ?

ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Famed Member Admin

@100ford2003, LOL1 I usually inject!

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

ReplyQuote
100Ford2003
(@100ford2003)
Illustrious Member

Oh heck, I'm sorry for that post...lol !!

ReplyQuote
Dave Gilbert
(@daveg)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I prefer a Mesquite vape myself... 🤣 

Dave Gilbert
Nashville, Tennessee
dave@toycargeek.com
toycargeek.com

ReplyQuote
Share: