Another oldie= a '35 Oldsmobile coupe, in rubber

6 Posts
4 Users
34 Likes
David H
(@d-m-holcombe)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

In the mid-'30s some American toy companies started making little rubber toy cars for the dime store trade.  Here's one I found at the toy show Thursday:

IMG 7505
IMG 7514
IMG 7517

Okay, so it's seen a little "play time."  It's also over eighty years old and unrestored.  I wonder how it would compare with a modern white metal 1/43 production.

John Merritt, Mike DeTorrice, Karl Schnelle and 11 people reacted
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

I like it.

Mike DeTorrice, Jack Dodds, John Kuvakas and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
David H
(@d-m-holcombe)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, Bob.  Old toys, especially old toy cars, have been a large part of my collecting for a long time.  I have several. 

Skip Johnson, Jack Dodds, John Kuvakas and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member

Rainbow Rubber!!!   Is it marked underneath?  Never heard of them so this is a "must add" for hobbyDB!

ReplyQuote
David H
(@d-m-holcombe)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

@karl   Karl, Rainbow Rubber made a few toy cars, in a variety of sizes, in the mid-1930's, out of Rainbow Rubber Company, Butler, Pa.  They show up on eBay now and then, usually at fairly low prices, but often in less than prime condition.  With their simple colors and inconsistent sizes, they don't attract much attention.  I think the Oldsmobile coupe is one of their finer efforts.

John Kuvakas, Karl Schnelle, John Kuvakas and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
John Merritt
(@jcarnutz)
Illustrious Member

Very cool. I love seeing these old rubber toys. As a kid, we had a whole bunch of these that had been my dad's when he was young. I still have a couple of them packed away. Not sure what happened to the rest of them.

John Merritt
South Lyon, Michigan - USA

ReplyQuote
Share: