Cruise to the holiday weekend with this new arrival!

This is the 1961 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Open top Jade Metallic in 1:43 scale by Stamp Models.

Order yours today! 👇

https://bit.ly/3OMNnVO

From My Collection ...

Notifications
Clear all

From My Collection 1/43... Saturday 5/21/22

John Merritt
(@jcarnutz)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

First, a little story.

I have been collecting model cars since I was five years old. It all started with Matchbox Cars and continued for many years with those and other 1:64 scale cars & trucks. Also, during this time, I did pick up a few 1:43 scale cars, all very inexpensive and mostly given to me by others as gifts. In late 1989 I saw an ad for a 1963 Corvette by a company called Franklin Mint. It was just to intriguing to pass up, so I bought it. That opened a door to many more 1:24 scale cars. I also discovered Danbury Mint and even better, D4C in late 1998 or early 1999. These discoveries introduced me to a whole new world that I wasn't aware of. I was off and having loads of fun with all that was offered in model cars. Along the way, I purchased 36 Franklin Mint 1:43 scale models but other than that, this scale just was a just passing glance from time to time.

Now if you know the story, FM & DM were coming to an end and by 2014, they had ceased production of diecast models altogether. What is a guy with a severe diecast-disease supposed to do? I had already started dabbling into 1:18 scale models, and while they were nice, they were just so big. I continued with them for a couple of years starting in 2010, but by 2014, they were getting too hard to find space. 

I have told this part of the story before, but here we go again. In 2011, I found a 1:43 scale model from Top Gear-Trax, it was a '58 Ford Customline Star crafted in resin. When it arrived in early 2012, I was blown away by the delicate nature and fine details. It was very intriguing, but it wasn't quite enough to persuade me to switch my scale preference. That happened quite by chance in early 2014. I was searching for a DM Pierce-Arrow model for a friend when I came across this fascinating little model from Brooklin Models. Now I had heard of Brooklin, even looked at model or two from time to time, but I never considered them as anything more than a curiosity. This '35 Pierce-Arrow was interesting, I put into my wish list and moved on. 

It was a few months later when I discovered another Brooklin model, a '55 Lincoln Capri Sedan. I was again searching for something on eBay when this beauty popped up. It was even more interesting that the PA was, so it went into my cart. Before I completed the purchase, I remembered the PA in my wish list and went back to it, it was still available, so into my cart it went too. I continued to search other Brooklin models available and found a '54 DeSoto Hardtop, into my cart it went. Now, I wasn't in the habit of spending a couple hundred dollars at one time, hey FM & DM offered payment plans, LOL! but these seemed well worth it, and I made the purchase. 

OK, enough of the "trip down memory lane" as I really do have a purpose for this story.  It is now 2022, I am what I now consider, a serious model collector. I have secured quite a few highly prized models in 1:43 scale. As my collection is just a breath away from 2,000 models, I look at each of them more and more as a reflection of my eclectic tastes. My collection consists of white metal (my favorite) resin and diecast. While I concentrate mainly on the 40s & 50s, all decades are represented in my collection if the model is interesting, and some days, if it has 4 tires & wheels, it is interesting. That is my whimsical side, LOL!

Seriously, recently Brooklin has branched out into the pricier side of white metal models. Now it is one thing to price your models more, it is another to really offer more. I do believe Brooklin is doing just that. Their increasing detail and quality levels began a couple short years ago, more detail and crisper images made their debut. This led to the NB Center Collection that was issued late last year, the quality and craftmanship was just too good to pass up and I added all six of the models offered in Allentown. A short time ago, they introduced their version of the 1963 Buick Riviera. It was issued in three colors, and after some consideration, I added all three colors.

Here's my thoughts (and photos) of those Riviera models...

The '63 Riviera was offered in Black, White & Gold. I originally went with just the black & white versions. Since these were present at the NB Center, I thought it would be cool to own models of cars that I have had the opportunity to sit in and greatly admire. When they arrived, I wasn't disappointed with them, but at the same time, I was. On 1st observation, the black wall tires seemed off-but that is how they are in the NB Center Collection, so OK, I'll see. I tried both of them with the whitewalls provided, nope, not quite right either. I fitted one of them with a smaller whitewall tire from another model-not good either. I chose to go back to the black wall tires, and I am pleased with that decision-maybe because the image of them from the NB Center is still in my head and the representation needs to be authentic. Not sure, but all good. 

As for the Gold version, I ordered it after the other two had arrived. It seemed necessary to have all three of the models as they were introduced. I fitted it with the whitewall tires, and while I would be more pleased with a thinner set of whitewalls, these look good too. I have the Goldvarg Riviera models with the thinner whitewalls, so again, all good.

Now, these models are exceptionally nice and well done, but not perfect. My biggest gripe is the heavily blackwashed wheels, these are way overdone. Does anyone have ideas on how to lessen that? The shape of the models is very well done, they "are" a '63 Riviera. In addition, my black version has a droopy rear on one side. I tried a fix that did not work. I will need to think this over further, I hesitate to handle and take them apart too often. One slight issue has already occurred, but a remedy from the 1:24 world using Future floor wax fixed that. 

Thank-you for reading my thoughts here, I hope you enjoy seeing the models as I always enjoy sharing them with you.

1963 Buick Riviera Hardtop Coupe, NBC 234 in black, gold & white.

1963 Buick Riviera Cpe B0
1963 Buick Riviera Cpe B1
1963 Buick Riviera Cpe B4
1963 Buick Riviera Cpe B5
1963 Buick Riviera Cpe B6
1963 Buick Riviera Cpe B7

1963 Buick Riviera Cpe W0
1963 Buick Riviera Cpe W1
1963 Buick Riviera Cpe W4
1963 Buick Riviera Cpe W5
1963 Buick Riviera Cpe W6
1963 Buick Riviera Cpe W7

1963 Buick Riviera Hdtp G0
1963 Buick Riviera Hdtp G1
1963 Buick Riviera Hdtp G4
1963 Buick Riviera Hdtp G5
1963 Buick Riviera Hdtp G6
1963 Buick Riviera Hdtp G7

John Merritt
South Lyon, Michigan - USA

Ed Glorius, Frank Reed, Mike DeTorrice and 8 people liked
Brian Laurance
(@brian-laurance)

An excellent post, and I love seeing these Riviera models.  I have acquired one of the Goldvarg Riviera models, which arrived with a detached rear bumper, but the overall shape seems very accurate.  These Brooklin Riviera models are the next logical addition to my collection, so I appreciate the great information you have furnished.  As always, I admire your superb photos.

ReplyQuote
Nickies
(@nickies)
Estimable Member

I am glad I passed on the Brooklin Rivieras because they have issues I cannot go over. The hubcaps and tires are the most obvious and the model doesn't display well. The Goldvarg rendition is sharp and accurate in every details for less than a third of the price and I don't  feel I need duplicate or more of a same model. Of course, this is just my opinion.

ReplyQuote
Ben Lampson
(@ben-lampson)
Honorable Member

Posted by: @jcarnutz

The '63 Riviera was offered in Black, White & Gold.

Superb pictures and great post John! thanks for taking the time to put it up.

ReplyQuote
Ben Lampson
(@ben-lampson)
Honorable Member

20220418 163509
20220418 163556
20220418 163409
20220418 163310
20220418 163055
20220418 164208
20220418 163006

@brian-laurance 

Hey Brian, did you inquire to acquire the Conquest 1950 Buick sedanette?

Inquiring minds want to know!

David Green, Ed Glorius, John Merritt and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Famed Member Registered

I have both the Brooklin and Goldvarg models along with the MiniMarque. Upon receipt of the black Brooklin I decided to display it with the whitewalls even though they are a bit too wide as I have never seen a 1/1 on the street with blackwalls.

ReplyQuote
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Noble Member

Posted by: @bob-jackman

I have both the Brooklin and Goldvarg models along with the MiniMarque. Upon receipt of the black Brooklin I decided to display it with the whitewalls even though they are a bit too wide as I have never seen a 1/1 on the street with blackwalls.

Here you go, on the street!   (Sorry, just having a little fun: love the whitewall/blackwall discussions.)  🙂 

Buick Riviera 1963

ReplyQuote
John Merritt
(@jcarnutz)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

@karl 

That and the gorgeous black version that was in the building is why I ordered them both and why I left as black walls. I have become quite fond of black wall tires on a lot of cars-must be the world we live in now, LOL!

John Merritt
South Lyon, Michigan - USA

ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Noble Member

Maybe Kumho doesn't make any whitewalls. This is what the NBC Rivs were shod with.

ReplyQuote
Share:

Cruise to the holiday weekend with this new arrival!

This is the 1961 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Open top Jade Metallic in 1:43 scale by Stamp Models.

Order yours today! 👇

https://bit.ly/3OMNnVO