Assembling a 1/43 VESPA (really!)

13 Posts
10 Users
26 Likes
David H
(@d-m-holcombe)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

After attempting to build 1/43 models from the early years of kits, often dating to the last 30 years of the 20th century, I decided to try something different, that is, something both different and new.  I found this one:

IMG 9189
IMG 9190

Well, it's 1/43 scale anyhow.  I did a little research before ordering it from an English dealer, and there's a good World War II story in its origins.  Here's a good source:

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/196149/cushman-airborne-scooter/

So I opened it up.

IMG 9192
IMG 9194

That's it.  Just those six white metal pieces. The two major halves did not “click together.”  Quite a bit of smoothing, using a paper finger-nail file, cut down to fit.  Pegs and holes still don’t fit well. Same problem with wheels on axle pegs. On the other hand, all that sanding took a couple of minutes.  These are small pieces. Oh yes, some of the little folks started showing up.  Just curious, I think.

IMG 9198
IMG 9229

Using my smallest drill bits to enlarge the several holes, 2 for wheels and 3 For the main body’s two parts.  A hand-held electric drill is just a little heavy to do this quickly. No hole on the underside for the kick stand to attach.  I found a rough spot that is probably meant for this purpose, so I used a small drill bit and took a chance.  Just fits. Whew!  

Colors choices, based on pictures from the web, were wide open.  One site said in 1953 the only colors were gray or light brown, but either Vespa or many, many buyers changed that.  I chose yellow, just because I had some and like it.  I had used a medium gray primer, and probably the yellow would have been brighter over a white primer. I painted the wheels with a chrome spray and then brushed on black for the tires... very carefully. Then came assembly.  That took maybe five minutes, probably less.

IMG 9264
IMG 9265
IMG 9265

And so, after maybe an hour, cut into minutes and spread over three days for drying time and my regular chores, here's my Vespa.

IMG 9266
IMG 9267
IMG 9278

And then the little folks and I had some fun with it.

IMG 9268
IMG 9270
IMG 9272
IMG 9274
IMG 9277

This one was fun!  But now I think I'll take a couple of days off and work in the yard a bit.  Maybe I will still go to that storage area and browse in those older kits again.  I haven't had a plastic one in my hands recently . . . 

David H Wink  

This topic was modified 2 months ago by David H

Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Famed Member

Really nice Vespa ! It looks great and seems straightforward to put together.

David H reacted
ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

Looks great David.

David H reacted
ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member

Hi David. Nice build. I have this kit and also one of the Swallow sidecar by the same company. Both are unbuilt so hopefully I can get them together this Winter. Your project here has inspired me. Thanks.

David H reacted
ReplyQuote
Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Noble Member

Nice model. I like it.

Ed Davis
Inverness, Illinois, USA

John Kuvakas and David H reacted
ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

Well done!  A good test for your eyesight and manual dexterity.

ReplyQuote
Keko Romero
(@keko-romero)
Noble Member

Nice!!

I have the 1/43 Vespa PK 125 by Schuco

SCHMOT010

And here is my 1/1 Vespa LX 125 ie...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW thumb b4b2

Cheers

Keko Romero Sánchez
Cádiz, Spain
http://kekomovil.blogspot.com

ReplyQuote
John Quilter
(@john-quilter)
Famed Member

And speaking of beach cars like your Fiat, BMC did a very limited run of these based on the Mini.  I made one from a stock saloon.    Here is my best representation of the car and its wicker seats.

1962 Mini Beach Car #1
1962 Mini Beach Car #2

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

@john-quilter Corgi also made the Fiat 600 Jolly. These things (1:1s) go for big bucks on BaT.

Corgi 242

ReplyQuote
John Quilter
(@john-quilter)
Famed Member

Harv, yes, I think a Mini version went for $126K a while back.  That is why I made the model on the cheap.  Wasn't there a Renault 4 version as well?

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

John Kuvakas reacted
ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

@john-quilter The Sinpar perhaps?

ReplyQuote
Nickies
(@nickies)
Honorable Member

@mg-harv It was the Citroen Mehari.

ReplyQuote
John Quilter
(@john-quilter)
Famed Member

Posted by: @mg-harv

@john-quilter Corgi also made the Fiat 600 Jolly. These things (1:1s) go for big bucks on BaT.

Corgi 242

And I found on my Fiat shelves an IXO Fiat 600 Jolly with a roof,  but similar to your Corgi.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

ReplyQuote
Share: