Attn: Packard Collectors

2 Posts
2 Users
20 Likes
Ken Spear
(@kenspear)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Here is a car that needs to be done in 1/43 scale. It's a 1949 Packard Monte Carlo concept car. I am amazed at the number of Packard concept cars out there that are obscure and probably many astute car freeks never knew existed. It seems Packard had a lot of concept cars in the late '40s and early '50s: Pan American,  Balboa, Request, Panther, Predictor and the 1952 Packard Pinin Farina coupe that I post a picture of yesterday just to name a few that I have come across. All of these have been done in 1/43 scale. 

Monte Carlo finished side

So where is the Monte Carlo??

David Green, Mike DeTorrice, John Kuvakas and 9 people reacted
David H
(@d-m-holcombe)
Trusted Member

Thanks, Ken.  I've never heard of this one.  Good one, too!  A little searching found some brief articles, primarily on UNDISCOVERED CLASSICS site.  The consensus is that this was a modification of the '47-48 Packard by Henney Coachbuilders and one of the earliest works by their associate Richard Arbib.  I also found pictures of a somewhat similar convertible version, same name and same origins.  It seems that the convertible is still around but the pictured hardtop is not.  Interesting!

I found one source that says Henney built more than forty of these Monte Carlo Packards, but I found nothing to back up that statement.  Packard did use the Monte Carlo name on at least one later Packard, a hardtop circa 1953 that was modified by Henney and designed by the same Richard Arbib.  He was the Henney employee most responsible for the Henney-built Packard hearses and ambulances of the era.

The site PACKARD INFORMATION also added the following:  "In 1955, AMC retained Arbib to create the '56 Hudson restyle. Of course, the restrictions included changing no major sheet metal stamping, simply new grille, tailights and side trim to further differentiate it from the Nash. Oh yes, and emphasizing that a Hudson V8 was available, especially the new AMC-engineered motor to shortly be introduced, should be integrated into the finished design. One can imagine the meddling executives looking for his shoulder; V-Line Styling! That's it!"  It seems Arbib was no longer associated with Henney at this time.

This post was modified 4 months ago 3 times by David H

David Green, Mike DeTorrice, Frank Reed and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: