Diecast for today 1...

Notifications
Clear all

Diecast for today 10/12/21 - Making up for lost time.

Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

A few of you may have noticed that I haven't posted a diecast since Thursday, but I have an excuse. My daughter flew in from Denver and on Saturday we drove over to Nashville for our annual Rally for the Lane drive. This year we had a Lancia Delta Integrale to drive, a nice car but the a/c didn't work and it was a warm day. Between the drive over and the rally itself we logged about 500 miles. Then Sunday the rest of the family showed up for a pre-Halloween meal, allowing my daughter to meet her niece for the first time. Just took her back to the airport this morning.

So catch-up time with some 1969 Porsche 917s by Ebbro. Porsche fielded three cars for Le Mans, plus there was a fourth entered by John Woolfe Racing, all of which DNF'd (Chassis Nos. 917-005 through -008). Most notably, it was the last year of the 'Le Mans' start, in which drivers had a foot race across the track to get into their cars and drive. Woolfe tragically lost his life when his car flipped on the opening lap, and it was discovered his seatbelt and harness were not fully connected. So, no more Le Mans start. 

Ebbro 43742 Porsche 917 No. 10 LM69 pic1
Ebbro 43742 Porsche 917 No. 10 LM69 pic2
Ebbro 43742 Porsche 917 No. 10 LM69 pic3
Ebbro 43742 Porsche 917 No. 10 LM69 pic4
Ebbro 43749 Porsche 917 No. 12 LM69 pic1
Ebbro 43749 Porsche 917 No. 12 LM69 pic2
Ebbro 43750 Porsche 917 No. 14 LM69 pic1
Ebbro 43750 Porsche 917 No. 14 LM69 pic2
Ebbro 43751 Porsche 917 No15 LM69 pic1
Ebbro 43751 Porsche 917 No15 LM69 pic2

Later that year a shorter body on Chassis 917-010 did better, finishing 6th at the Japan GP.

Ebbro 43748 Porsche 917 Taki Japan pic1
Ebbro 43748 Porsche 917 Taki Japan pic2

Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Reputable Member

Harv, I have a non-model question for you.  What is the Rallye for the Lane Drive?  I have competed in local car rallyes for many years, actually decades, and am curious about the Rallye for the Lane drive.

Ed Davis
Inverness, Illinois, USA

ReplyQuote
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Prominent Member

Posted by: @ed-davis

Harv, I have a non-model question for you.  What is the Rallye for the Lane Drive?  

A few of us here have done it for the past few years down in Nashville (USA).  I'll let Harvey reply in full but here is the website.  It's a fantastic event - Skip and I did it the week before in an Innocenti Mini! 😆 

https://www.lanemotormuseum.org/rally-for-the-lane-cars/599-1990-lancia-delta-integrale-rally

https://www.lanemotormuseum.org/collection/cars/item/innocenti-mini-1969

Ed Davis, Harv Goranson, Skip Johnson and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Famed Member

Missed you Harv. Rally for the Lane Drive sounds like a wonderful event, even without air conditioning. I think that you made the most of the weekend.

My Porsche 917 are all Le Mans cars if you count the movie Le Mans Steve McQueen car as one also, but I don't have the pair that you show here. I'm surprised that the foot race start survived as long as it did. It was fun while it lasted but always dangerous.

Very nice post Harv.

ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

@ed-davis Ed, Karl gave you the links for our cars. Annually the Lane Auto Museum has two October tours through the countryside of middle Tennessee. These are not time-speed-distance rallies, but just fun tours where you follow directions and try not to get lost. There is a fee for this of course, anywhere from $500 to over $900 depending on the car, but since the Lane is a Chapter 501.3(c) not-for-profit, most of the fee is tax deductible. There is always a lunch at the mid-point and this year it was at a very nice lakeside restaurant. Besides the Lancia, my daughter and I have driven a Panhard 24BT, Alfa Romeo Giulia Spider, TVR S2, and a Volvo P1800. 

ReplyQuote
Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Reputable Member

Harv, Karl,

Thanks for the information.

Ed Davis
Inverness, Illinois, USA

ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Here's where we had lunch. You can see Cordell Hull Lake through the open air seating where we had our buffet lunch. Jeff Lane always trailers a spare car in case of trouble - this year those driving a Smart cabrio lost a tire in a chuckhole and had to return in a VW Beetle.  So how many cars can you identify? Hint - the car to the left of our Lancia may look like a 356 Porsche, but isn't. (Karl and Skip - you guys are disqualified from entering!)

Wildwood parking lot

This post was modified 3 months ago by Harv Goranson

ReplyQuote
tedweller
(@tedweller)
Trusted Member

Awesome models - I love the vintage stock GMs, Fords and Chryslers as much as anyone, but also great to see some coverage of race cars of this ilk!

ReplyQuote
Share: