Innocenti, the British Italian connection

4 Posts
3 Users
8 Likes
John Quilter
(@john-quilter)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

BMC had a connection to production of cars in Italy in the 60s and 70s.  The result of this was an Innocenti Sprite,  a Morris 1M3, and a Mini Cooper.   There was also a Austin A40 Farina but I have no model of that one.    As shown the Sprite is from Matrix, the Morris from Politoys, and the recently acquired Mini Cooper from Solido although the Ebay listing also shows Hatchette, and DeAugostini.  Not sure about why,  as the base plate shows Solido.   The Morris is an Italian version of the ever popular 1100/1300 range of front wheel drive cars in the UK with multiple badge engineered versions,  Morris, Austin, Riley, Wolseley,  MG,  Vanden Plas.   The Innocenti Sprite with its unique body,  was sold in the USA by BMC dealers but at almost $1000 more than the British version although mechanicals were the same.

Innocenti cars X3 #1
Innocenti cas X3 #2

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

David Green, Frank Reed, David Green and 1 people reacted
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member

Does the Innocenti Mini look any different in 1/43 scale, than any other BMC Mini?  I assume Solido made it and then it was sold as Hatchette / DeAugostini partworks.

ReplyQuote
Keko Romero
(@keko-romero)
Noble Member

In Spain we had Authi, our British-Spanish connection. Authi -Automóviles Hispano Ingleses- manufactured in Pamplona several BMC and British Leyland models... Here are two examples from my collection

DSC 9359

Authi Morris Mini Cooper 1300 by Altaya

DSC 9295

Authi Morris 1100 by Altaya

Both models were sold in a partwork collection back in 2004-2005.

Cheers

Keko Romero Sánchez
Cádiz, Spain
http://kekomovil.blogspot.com

ReplyQuote
John Quilter
(@john-quilter)
Famed Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @karl

Does the Innocenti Mini look any different in 1/43 scale, than any other BMC Mini?  I assume Solido made it and then it was sold as Hatchette / DeAugostini partworks.

Well I'm thinking the grill and tail lamps are a bit different, larger,  and this one has chromed Minilight wheels and chrome fender flairs.  All seems pretty period for a Cooper circa 1975 or later.  The grill is black with a single horizontal chrome molding.   These features may have been adopted by the UK versions at some point.  The Italians also designed a completely new body, very squarish, also known as an Innocenti Mini but it was never adopted by BL in the  UK.  There was even a four door version. 

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

ReplyQuote
Share: