Topic starter  

Keith Williams weighs in on rumors surrounding SMTS. Click here

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

Ed Glorius, Michel Lemieux, Ed Davis and 7 people reacted
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member

I had not realized that they already were doing resin models!  I should help their viability, as well as producing 2/3rds of their products for 3rd parties.

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member

A sad but not surprising message. I am glad that SMTS still continues but the prospect of fresh models looks discouraging.

Ed Davis and Ed Davis reacted
ReplyQuote
David H
(@d-m-holcombe)
Trusted Member

Very interesting information, most of which I did not realize.  I think out English-built metal models just went up in value.  Nice to have something positive to look for.

Ed Davis and Ed Davis reacted
ReplyQuote
Michel Lemieux
(@michel-lemieux)
Prominent Member

I want to be sure to well understand, does that mean that there will be no more distributors like Brasilia Press in USA or Mini Grid in Canada few years ago to distribute the models to the sellers and the only way to get a model will be to order directly on the Brooklin's site? Brooklin will no longer be distributing their products through the dealership network? Future products will therefore be no longer available. I saw this message on Mike Coupe's site. SMTS or even Brooklin could do like MCUSA did and make a few models in resin with the baseplate in white metal. Why not married resin and white metal together?

ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Famed Member Admin
Topic starter  

Brooklin will be available through the clubs in the USA and the UK, and through Budig in Germany as well as through Brooklin's website. 

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

ReplyQuote
Michel Lemieux
(@michel-lemieux)
Prominent Member

And for the WMCE or Conquest models there will be sent only to David K.?

Thanks 

ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Famed Member Admin
Topic starter  

@michel-lemieux, you would have to speak to Buz about that. 

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

ReplyQuote
John Quilter
(@john-quilter)
Famed Member

So I am understanding that Brooklins will no longer be available from such model sellers as Diecast Direct (or Dominion Models, etc.) that handles dozens and dozens of model brand names including Brooklin in the past.   That is disappointing to me as I have been a customer of Diecast Direct for many years and find their service excellent.   If I understand it correctly Brooklin has or had a distributor,  Brazilia Press who in turn distributed to the likes of Diecast Direct, Dominion Models, etc.   I can understand that too many layers of distribution drove the final retail prices up so why does Brooklin not distribute directly to USA retailers?  Violation of a distribution franchise with Brazilia?

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

ReplyQuote
Ben Lampson
(@ben-lampson)
Noble Member

Posted by: @john-quilter

I can understand that too many layers of distribution drove the final retail prices up

I think the opposite was happening.

There was an article I read some time ago, (my memory doesn't serve me well where I read it) that talked about this subject, and the article came to the conclusion that if a model maker has many distributors, that will cause the model to lose retail value because the distributors compete against each other to offer the lowest price, and that in turn causes the model to lose even more value on the 2nd market, like ebay. 

I used to collect 1/24 models, and Danbury Mint and Franklin Mint were a perfect example of this, although the Danbury Mint models were much better in my opinion. 

Franklin Mint had many outlet stores and distributors, while Danbury Mint models could only be purchased directly from Danbury Mint or on the 2nd market, which helped Danbury Mint models retain or even increase in value.

We see this with Brooklin models versus the likes of Conquest/WMCE/Highway Travelers models from Route 66.

The Route 66 models retain their value because there is only one distributor (ie: no price competition) versus Brooklin that has many distributors.

Maybe Brooklin finally realizes this and has made the change to correct it.

I also think the Brooklin price increases came with better detailing, better packaging and crisper models.

ReplyQuote
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member

Posted by: @john-quilter

...  I can understand that too many layers of distribution drove the final retail prices up so why does Brooklin not distribute directly to USA retailers?  Violation of a distribution franchise with Brazilia?

I don't know, but if the two Brooklin clubs take pre-orders or orders for new Brooklin releases, then I assume Diecast Direct or any other company can also order their stock as well.  I assume they would be using the same price structure as the clubs offer?  All these details will have to be worked out. We will have to wait to see how...

ReplyQuote
Michel Lemieux
(@michel-lemieux)
Prominent Member

The NABCC Buick is on the Diecast Direct site.

ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

@ben-lampson Well, a big factor in value is that Buz's models rarely exceed 50 of any one version. Supply and demand, you know. Plus, until the NBC models, the Conquests et al were better detailed when it comes to chrome and little bits you have to add on yourself. 

This post was modified 4 months ago by Harv Goranson

ReplyQuote
Share: