5 Users
16 Likes
Cfcooper
(@cfcooper)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  
2FC3EDC4 BAA9 4B43 99E2 7B6AEF3999D7
D2807750 C3F4 4D16 A338 5E6348F52620

I recently purchased the De Agostini model of 1966 Toronado. It came with black wall tires.

I had tires from another car and I replaced them as shown on the right hand picture.

What I would really like to do is find a set of narrow whitewalls as shown on the real car at the left.

I’ve looked online with no real luck except some decals that could be used, really would not like to waste the $.

Have anyone of you solved this problem? 

Cfcooper
Brighton, MI

Chazy.R
(@chazy-r)
Reputable Member

In the old days, you could contact Amanda at Brooklin and she could send you a set of the skinny WW tires. There has been discussion on the parts left over from Brooklin recently on this forum. Hopefully, someone involved in the parts takeover will respond to this. Best, Chuck

ReplyQuote
David H
(@d-m-holcombe)
Trusted Member

I found a sheet of decal white walls that I've been clipping on for quite a while.  Here it is, along with the only information I have.  Sometimes they work.  Decals and I just don't always get along.  Happy hunting!  (And it's a great looking model!)

IMG 8495

ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Famed Member Admin

Mo Brown is handling the Brooklin parts. You can contact him at mbrown2262@aol.com

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

ReplyQuote
Cfcooper
(@cfcooper)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

@jkuvakas thanks John, I emailed Mo about the parts. Will see what happens.

Cfcooper
Brighton, MI

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Famed Member

When whitewalls are not to my liking (either too wide or too thin) I've either added white paint or "subtracted it."   

Reducing the inside & outside whitewall diameters (ID & OD) is easily accomplished with various size washers and fine to extra fine tipped Sharpie black markers. To create the "slim-band" whitewalls you desire, reducing both the ID & OD would be necessary.

Using washers as templates or guides, simply trace the OD, for example, with the extra fine black Sharpie, then fill in the "outer excess whitewall" with a thicker black Sharpie.  The ID is accomplished in the same fashion, using a different size washer of course.

Here's a quick example of reducing the OD of a "too-thick" whitewall using this method. Yes, it's a larger scale but I've done 1/43s too. Good luck!

Whitewall is too wide for 1959 (looks more like 1951!)

Az1P

Corrected using washers & a black Sharpie

Az1pp

If ANY mistakes are made (your marker "wanders," covering up a bit of whitewall) simply apply white acrylic paint and start over (re-trace).

Here's an example of reducing both the ID & OD...just like YOU need to do:

Again, whitewall too wide for 1963 but just reducing the OD would still be incorrect

Ricko Lincoln 3

Corrected ID & OD (thus, creating period-correct "slim-bands")

Ricko Lincoln 2

This post was modified 4 months ago 3 times by Christopher Moroni

John Kuvakas, Karl Schnelle, David H and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Cfcooper
(@cfcooper)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

@chris thanks for the Sharpie idea. I added a small circle to the inside diameter and it did the trick I was looking for.

Cfcooper
Brighton, MI

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Famed Member

@cfcooper

This post was modified 4 months ago by Christopher Moroni

ReplyQuote
Share: