My father’s 1936 Bu...

Notifications
Clear all

My father’s 1936 Buick replicated by John Roberts

David Knight
(@david-knight)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

In 1946, after the war, my dad bought his father-in-law’s ‘36 Buick when my grandfather bought a new ‘46 Buick. My dad kept that car until 1953. This picture was taken just after he had it repainted, probably around 1950. I can’t remember last Tuesday yet I remember the aroma of that fresh paint when my father drove the freshly painted car into the garage. The color was called Moderne Gray. The Brooklin model is one John Roberts did for me in a color to match.

B6B804F6 ED1D 467D B0FF 90109460AE56

My father’s Buick looking brand new at 15 years old

A7D9439E E6D4 4CF5 A37D B54D4FF3B29E

Brooklin 1936 Buick done by John Roberts in Moderne Gray to match

D2BAD11F 11F5 4806 82E4 8550484D0CB1

I’m behind the wheel at age 5

0AC82E6C 556F 4E40 ACDA 0486150A269D

Brooklin model

David Knight
Richmond, Virginia. USA

Moe Parr, Michel Lemieux, David Green and 8 people liked
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Prominent Member

Car guy since age 5!!!!   It's great that you still have those photos!

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Noble Member Registered

It looks so perfectly period in that gray.

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Famed Member

Very nice!  Great to have for nostalgia.

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Famed Member Registered

Thanks for sharing these memories with us. John Roberts is truly an artist when it comes to these little cars. He built a model of my first car a 1937 Studebaker Dictator sedan from the Brooklin 1937 Studebaker coupe and the Brooklin Buick 1937 sedan.

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Famed Member

Posted by: @bob-jackman

Thanks for sharing these memories with us. John Roberts is truly an artist when it comes to these little cars. He built a model of my first car a 1937 Studebaker Dictator sedan from the Brooklin 1937 Studebaker coupe and the Brooklin Buick 1937 sedan.

Bob;  John did me up a tan BRK '53 Ford, which was the first car I ever bought.

ReplyQuote
Rick Thompson
(@rick-thompson)

Bob and Jack, I'll join the "first car by JR" club.  He did my '56 Pontiac two-door hardtop in yellow and white from BRK's '56 Pontiac four-door sedan.  It's an incredible conversion, and a model I'll never part with.

ReplyQuote
Moe Parr
(@moe-parr)
Honorable Member

David, I love it!

How can I get in touch with John Roberts? Thanks for any info!

I bet he can make me a '55 Chrysler Windsor 2-door hardtop out of Brooklin's 4-door sedan and 300 hardtop.

ReplyQuote
John Roberts
(@john-roberts)

@rick-thompson All good memories and nice to hear from you all again! I remember each of these and it was always nice to make models which evoked special memories for people. It's some time since I built anything due to me recent medical fun and games. I won't be venturing anywhere near the workshop until at least September as there are more small personal bodywork modifications to get sorted in August. Me, white metal and spray paint have to stay distant acquaintances for now...with no set time frame.

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Famed Member Registered

Rick and JR good to hear from both of you again. JR I'm sorry to hear about your health situation and hope by taking it easy that you have a full recovery. I will keep you in my prayers.

Jack the 53 Ford has always been a favorite of mine and I'm glad that John was able to build a model of yours. Rick, I have always loved 55 and 56 Pontiacs as my dad bought a 55 Star Chief convertible new.

Jack, Rick and JR several months ago my computer was hacked and I lost all of my contacts. If each of you would please email me at my new email address I would like to resume communication with all of you. My new email address is: robert61jackmanatgmaildotcom.

ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Moderator Admin

@rick-thompson, good to see you on the board, Rick!

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Famed Member

Posted by: @rick-thompson

Bob and Jack, I'll join the "first car by JR" club.  He did my '56 Pontiac two-door hardtop in yellow and white from BRK's '56 Pontiac four-door sedan.  It's an incredible conversion, and a model I'll never part with.

I concur Rick.  I've seen your pics of it and it is amazing!

ReplyQuote
David Holcombe
(@d-m-holcombe)
Noble Member

@john-roberts            Sorry to hear of your health problems, John, and please accept my best wishes.  I treasure one of your fine works, even though I never owned the rare Hudson in 1:1.  

IMG 1040

I thank you for your participation and leadership in our shared hobby.  Enjoy!    David Holcombe

ReplyQuote
Share: