New Matrix 1950s Alfas

3 Posts
3 Users
20 Likes
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I got these two Alfa Romeos a few months ago on pre-order from my US dealer.  They sure seem to be a matched pair, both two-door design and color-wise.

Matrix 2 Alfas 1900 6C2500 1950s
Matrix 2 Alfas 1900 6C2500 1950s 2

The older one has the blue top, the 1950 6C 2500 SS Supergioallo Ghia Coupe .  The 6C engine was a design from before the war and the Italian coachbuilders were still active immediately post-war as well.  So Ghia was contracted to make this Super Jewel coupe.  A Milanese automobile dealer ordered the car and at that time, Mario Boano owned Ghia!  Another connection for this pair of unique Alfas!  Online comments about this exact car point to Michelotti being under contract at Ghia at the time and that this car looks very similar to his creations; hence, it could be his design.

The two-tone paint is a fantasy by Matrix - B&W photos do show the two-tones originally but its hard to say what exact colors.  An older restoration turned it all blue, and currently, it is back in the two-tone format, albeit in metallic colors.

Matrix 6C 2500 SS Supergioallo Ghia Coupe 1950

The 1955 1900 has the newer Alfa engine but also a body by Boano - the 1900 Super Boano Primavera.   The regular production 1900 series was introduced at the Paris Motor Show in 1950. Several Italian coachbuilders built their own versions due to Alfa provided rolling chasses to them.  The famous Bertone BATs came out at this time, as an example.  I have seen a few online and do not know how many were made (one reference said 300).  Dates shown are 1955-57 for these.  Most photos show them in two-tone, but I have not seen any in these colors.  I did not bid 😐 but a nice looking one went unsold on BaT recently!

Matrix 1900 Super Boano Primavera 1955

I do like blue Alfas but it would be a hard choice to pick a favorite without seeing them in-person, much less driving them!

Ken Spear, David H, David Green and 9 people reacted
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

Nice pictures and writeup Karl.

John Kuvakas, Karl Schnelle, John Kuvakas and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

Very good review Karl. The colors on the Ghia coupe remind me of this Delahaye, so maybe not so unauthentic after all.

Matrix MX50408 011 Delahaye 235 pic1
Matrix MX50408 011 Delahaye 235 pic2

John Kuvakas, Karl Schnelle, John Kuvakas and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: