Packard dreaming! W...

Notifications
Clear all

Packard dreaming! Why don't they build. . .

7 Posts
4 Users
32 Likes
David H
(@d-m-holcombe)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

The first Packard!  This is a Revell jumping toy, produced before Gowland and Revell turned these jumpers into the Highway Pioneers kits.

IMG 7818

And here are some Packards of the earlier years that I think would make great models. 1905, 1912 (same year as RAMI and Matchbox Yesteryear), another from about 1912, period photo circa 1910 (click on this one for a special larger version), late 'teens with a great windshield, and an advertisement from about 1920.  There were some great Packards before the classics of the 1930's, IMO.

05 Packard N DV 12 EH 01
12 Packard 18 Landaulet Quinby DV 05 Bth 02 800
6505251981 9605e8133c b
gettyimages 514866122 1024x1024
IMG 3417 scaled
1920 advert from original old vintage american magazine 1920s advertisement H3E5B1

Just dreaming....    David H Nerd  

This topic was modified 2 months ago 2 times by David H

100Ford2003, Rich Sufficool, Bob Jackman and 11 people reacted
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

I love cars from this era and just received the Curved Dash Oldsmobile. I would buy models of any of these cars shown but I wonder how big the audience is for these oldies.

David H and David H reacted
ReplyQuote
David H
(@d-m-holcombe)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Bob, I'm afraid you're right.  But I still feel there's a sense of history in our collectors.  As an example,  just  look at these pictures of cars from the mid-1920's.  What are your conclusions?

1920 Buick
maxresdefault

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member

I'd take that blue one in a heartbeat if only for the radiator.

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member

I built that Highway Pioneers kit as a kid. All I have left is the driver with the handlebar mustache. Do you remember what the kit cost? I know it was really cheap because my mother bought me a few of the series.

ReplyQuote
David H
(@d-m-holcombe)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

@rich-sufficool    Rich, did you look closely at that radiator?  The mid 1920's Buick copied the Packard radiator styling.  Kind of reminds me of the Henry J's tail lights using Cadillac styling.

And if I remember correctly, the Revell Highway Pioneers were about 65 cents.  Later additions increased somewhat.

IMG 7821

Here's one that isn't easy to find:

IMG 7820

This post was modified 2 months ago by David H

ReplyQuote
100Ford2003
(@100ford2003)
Famed Member

@rich-sufficool 

Thank-you to the Gods that be for parents and grandparents that helped us develop our love of model kits. 

Those kits also helped us to learn to read instructions and follow steps in order to complete something we, as kids, could be proud of.

Steve

David H and David H reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: