32 Likes
David H
(@d-m-holcombe)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Building the 1:43 DODGE CHARGER DAYTONA of 1969

IMG 9445
IMG 9446

The 1:1 car was of 1969; the TESTORS kit was thirty years later, 1999, made in China.  As I write this, the spoiler was glued into position minutes ago (2:25 p.m., May 6, 2021) and is now drying; that was the last step in this kit’s construction.

IMG 9448

I like building kits.  In the early 1950’s I discovered the Revell Highway Pioneers and destroyed several as I discovered how to hold all those little pieces of plastic together.  Eventually, some thirty years later, I settled into accumulating 1:43 models that had been assembled in factories by elves or other types of miracle workers.  But earlier and later, I would sometimes fall back into those kits, paint, and glue.  More recently, shut out of society by the Covid 19 pandemic, I have turned to a combination of these two activities, building 1:43 models from kits, some even plastic.

IMG 9459
IMG 9457

Most of these I purchase on the “used” market, sometimes previously and/or partially built, but surprisingly often still in their original packaging and never opened after years of storage.  Here’s my latest:

IMG 9454

Steps in construction

• Consider the cost. As soon as the cellophane covering is stripped off, the value of the kit is largely destroyed.  Are you sure you want to make the attempt?
  • Read the directions. Right at the top, usually, is an explanation of detailing the model, mostly the interior. This is what separates the idealist from the realist.  Of course, the presence of skills might also play a part. 
  • Painting the body is a true level of expertise. This Testors kit comes to me at a time when I didn’t need any more stress in my life.  It is factory painted, and rather well done, too.
  • The punishment for your choice to build comes with separating the parts from their plastic trees. You have one piece of plastic with 8 or 12 or more parts cast and embedded in a web of entanglement.  And some of those parts are small, tiny, wee, and little bitty.  Odds are you will become familiar with searching the floor under your feet with a strong light.
IMG 9487
IMG 9507

And when the glue dries, the paint is touched here and there, the tools are put away, and the pictures are taken, you check and find that the finished model has been made and/or marketed by Road Champions, Spark, Greenlight, Legends of Racing, Universal Hobbies, Dorn's, Starter, Eagle Race, American Cars, Altaya, IXO, and perhaps more. But this one has a little of "me" in it as I place it on display.

IMG 9510
IMG 9514
IMG 9512
IMG 9520

Enjoy!    David H  Laugh

One more, contrasting two Dodges.

IMG 9526
IMG 9523
IMG 9525

Now I wonder how the Plymouth version would look?

Ted Weller, Jim McDonald, Harv Goranson and 15 people reacted
Frank Reed
(@frank)
Illustrious Member

Very cool... nice work.  

Frank Reed
Chesapeake, VA

ReplyQuote
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member

Thanks for the commentary. Brings your kit building to life for us! LoL  

ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Famed Member Admin

Well done, both the model and the post! Thanks, David.

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

ReplyQuote
Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Illustrious Member

This brings back memories of all the plastic model kits I made (cars, planes, military vehicles).  Thanks for sharing.

Ed Davis
Inverness, Illinois, USA

ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

Wire cutters! Geez David, get an x-acto knife! 😀 

I enjoyed your post. And as stated, the completed model was sold as Eagles Race.

Eagles Race 1409 Dodge Charger

John Kuvakas, Karl Schnelle, John Kuvakas and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
David H
(@d-m-holcombe)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

@mg-harv  Sorry, Harv.  The Exacto-knife was just out of the frame.  

ReplyQuote
Share: