Unboxing GLM's '59-'61 Imperials

15 Posts
7 Users
23 Likes
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Famed Member Admin
Topic starter  

How embarrassing! I originally called these GLMs "Stamps." Please excuse my feeble attempt to correct my mistake. 

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

Skip Johnson, Bob Jackman, John Merritt and 3 people reacted
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Famed Member

A fine review of these Imperials by any name ! What spectacular cars and 1/43 models.

John Kuvakas reacted
ReplyQuote
Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Famed Member

Those Imperials look beautiful! One question, are GLM and Stamp the same company?

Ed Davis
Inverness, Illinois, USA

John Kuvakas reacted
ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Famed Member Admin
Topic starter  

@ed-davis, they seem to be very closely related.

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

ReplyQuote
Nickies
(@nickies)
Honorable Member

The GLM Imperials are outstanding models I was not expecting to buy any a few months ago but I don't regret it. I have the 1960 Crown Coupe and 1961 LeBaron Sedan LE Editions respectively in blue and grey and they are fabulous.  

I also have the 1960 Convertible in Dubonnet Red but I am so disappointed by the color that I will probably remove it from display. 

Ed Davis reacted
ReplyQuote
Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Famed Member

@nickies 
What is the problem with the red color on the 1960 convertible?

Ed Davis
Inverness, Illinois, USA

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

Love the reviews John. These GLM and Stamp models are truly works of art. Your comment that for 1955 Imperial became a stand alone division with no Chrysler badging is absolutely correct and I tell folks that. Then when I open the hood of my 1/1 Imperial, on the valve covers stamped in bold letters is" Chrysler Fire Power" on the  331 CI hemi.

Skip Johnson, Ben Lampson, Jack Dodds and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Famed Member

Four things:

1) I was confused (easy to do...) also, "Stamp vs GLM"   These are GLM, OK, got it.

2) Another terrific episode for the "My Take portfolio"  John, thank you.

3) All 3 Imperials look fantastic! I applaud ANY COMPANY eager to "tool"  different body styles representing yearly progressions. 

4) From the video, "eye-ball-comparisons"  gave the appearance that these Imperials looked a bit under-scaled (though individual model proportions appear accurate).

Q: Do they "scale out"  correctly?  If noted in your video, I missed it, and I apologize. 

As many of you know, these cars were big and virtually indestructible!  Said to be Exner's favorites of the "Forward Look"  designs.

ReplyQuote
Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Famed Member

@bob-jackman 

Some day when you have time, would you post a few pictures of your 1/1 Imperial? Thanks.

Ed Davis
Inverness, Illinois, USA

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

These '60 Imperials are really impressive.  I have the '60 convertible in metallic mauve/heather and the coupe in dark blue and love them!

ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Famed Member Admin
Topic starter  

@chris, assuming auto-catalog.com's numbers are accurate, here are the figures. 

1959 - 1:1 length, 226.3 in. Model length, - 5.344 in (229.792 in). 1:1 width, 81.0 in. Model width, 1.951 in (83.89 in)

1960 - 1:1 length, 226.3 in. Model length, - 5.276 in (226.86 in). 1:1 width, 80.1 in. Model width, 1.8745 in (80.60 in)

1961 - 1:1 length, 227.3 in. Model length, - 5.305 in (228.115 in). 1:1 width, 81.7 in. Model width, 1.869 in (80.37 in)

Given my fat fingers and a slight breeze today, I think they got it. 

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Famed Member

@jkuvakas Geez John! You went over & above the call of duty here. THANK YOU!   As I've often noted, accurate scaling is mandatory for me; your "fat fingers"  have shown GLM will NOT disappoint anyone who purchases these oh-so-splendid Imperials!  Thanks again! 😎

John Kuvakas reacted
ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Famed Member Admin
Topic starter  

You made me curious. I usually check for length before I do a review. Do you think I should include tha actual measurements?

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Famed Member

Posted by: @jkuvakas

You made me curious. I usually check for length before I do a review. Do you think I should include tha actual measurements?

Personally, I prefer "actual measurements."  As you know, I scale out many projects, I build to scale, bla, bla, etc, etc... 

It's fair to assume most collectors are concerned with the "accuracy of scale"  as it pertains to their individual replicas, however, I think seeing "actual measurements"  is less important for collectors than simply knowing whether a particular model is or isn't in scale. I feel most collectors appreciate this information.

This post was modified 2 months ago by Christopher Moroni

John Kuvakas reacted
ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Famed Member Admin
Topic starter  

@chris, thanks.

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

ReplyQuote
Share: