Update from Simon Elford of Brooklin

59 Posts
24 Users
166 Likes
Ed Glorius
(@ed-glorius)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

For those not on Facebook. What are your thoughts?

'Due to recent posts and rumours. I thought I would release a statement explaining the recent changes at Brooklin Models.

"As you are aware the company was bought back in 2015 by an Italian car enthusiast. The company at that point was on the verge of collapse and this intervention saved the company. Unfortunately business did not improve despite considerable investment.

"Just over two years ago the same company bought SMTS to help identify what was going wrong and help especially with development. It has become clear that the company is just not viable in its current set up and without continual funding would go out of business.

"We have decided to use a similar business model to SMTS. With a smaller staff team and smaller factory unit we hope over the next few years to make Brooklin models a stable and viable company.

"The change is significant and will take about 6 months to complete. In the meantime we are still producing models and the new releases are still being worked on. The parts service is temporarily suspended and we are in conversation with a. Few people about taking this over

"It was with great sadness that we had to let some staff go. Everyone at Brooklin has been there so long it is like a family. There were no easy decisions and I am personally sad that it had to happen.

"I don’t see this as the beginning of the end but change happens and change has had to happen here. I see it more as a new beginning.
Brooklin Models and it staff have been through many up and downs over the years. This is just another chapter in the story."

Retired in Dunedin, Florida.

Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Noble Member

Ed, thanks for sharing this letter. I heard about it at the recent show in Countryside Illinois. Although I do not have the long customer experience with Brooklin that many of you have, I can sympathize with the affected employees. I worked many years in US telecommunications industry, and understand down sizing.

Ed Davis
Inverness, Illinois, USA

ReplyQuote
Ed Glorius
(@ed-glorius)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ed, I survived 52 rounds of layoffs before retiring of my own accord in 2014 from the telecommunications industry (Verizon). I know the feeling.

Retired in Dunedin, Florida.

ReplyQuote
Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Noble Member

@ed-glorius 

My career went from Western Electric to AT&T, NCR, AT&T, Lucent, Alcatel-Lucent, and finally Nokia. Lots of name changes in 41 years. I retired in 2020. I lost count of all the layoffs.

Ed Davis
Inverness, Illinois, USA

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

If all that is stated is true, which I assume it is, then I feel really bad for the "family" at Brooklin Models.  Sadly nothing stays the same for long in today's competitive and fast changing business world; it seems to get faster every passing year.

ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

I think I feel the most sorry for Amanda. She was the 'face' of Brooklin for many of us.

Keko Romero, Dave_Larsen, Ed Davis and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

@mg-harv So true Harv and such a pleasant and reliable person to deal with.  I have met her several times at Brooklin events in the UK over the years and she is a lovely person.  Let's hope that her seniority and knowledge base keep her there!

Ed Davis and Ed Davis reacted
ReplyQuote
David Knight
(@david-knight)
Famed Member

Thanks, Ed, for posting Simon’s letter. As Harv said, for all who have been the recipients of Amanda’s outstanding customer care, she indeed became the face of Brooklin. We wish Simon the best as he leads Brooklin in the challenging times ahead.

This post was modified 5 months ago 2 times by David Knight

David Knight
Richmond, Virginia. USA

Jack Dodds, Karl Schnelle, Ed Davis and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Nickies
(@nickies)
Reputable Member

Brooklin should have downsized a long time ago and not rely on new investors that found a few years later they were feeding a money pit. Sorry for the harsh words but it is the reality for many businesses who have niche markets and outdated production techniques.   They cannot compete in a market that switched to resin models to attract collectors by providing far better accuracy at far more affordable price.

I collected Brooklin models for many years before I sold my collection 10 years ago when moving out of state for retirement. Honestly, I would not buy back any of them and have no nostalgia today when I see what resin models have to offer. Newcomer companies in the 1/43 market understand what sells and makes a profit at the bottom line. So, when they say it's time "now" to revise their business model to survive, I am perplexed. I wish them good luck.

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

@nickies   Well Brooklin seems to understand the need to diversify their product line in order to appeal to a broader base and variety of collectors, including the tourist trade, so I sure hope they can make it work.  It appears from what I understand that they currently have a good mix of managerial experience to draw from.  I wish them well.

ReplyQuote
John Quilter
(@john-quilter)
Famed Member

The latest email advert I got from Brooklin showed prices from £220 to £290.     Exquisite models for sure but not everybody can afford, or wants,  the Rolex watch of model cars.  Just sayin'.   And I'm a long time Brooklin collector but not these days.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

ReplyQuote
renato bardi
(@renato-bardi)
Estimable Member

Something wrong from the new owner has happen, perhsps apply the same marketing philosophy for big enterprise on a small factory whit an reduced budget isn't viable.Perhaps the choice of models were not the most successful like the new luxurious box. Other is an increased price that the European and U. S. A. Collectors must have to deal whit custom fees in addition to the expensive shipping cost. 

ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

@jack-dodds She already e-mailed a fellow collector that she is gone.

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

Jack Dodds, I echo your thoughts about Amanda. Unfortunately she was let go. I have already gotten a taste of how we, as customers, will be treated in the near future as I received the BBC Buick Riviera about a month ago and it was missing the radio antenna. I immediately wrote Amanda. After not receiving a reply I felt something was wrong and now I know. Being a Brooklin collector since the beginning when they were still in Canada, I now have mixed feelings about buying from a company that leaves me with a model with a piece missing due to their error. What do I do? What are my options? Send the model back? Ideas anyone?

ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Famed Member Admin

@bob-jackman, I hear that parts will be readily available for cases such as this. I'm, sure there was a lot of confusion and reorganization occurring around those first few days of the reorganization. Perhaps another email would help. I know they want to help. Try mail@brooklinmodels.com

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share: