Cruise to the holiday weekend with this new arrival!

This is the 1961 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Open top Jade Metallic in 1:43 scale by Stamp Models.

Order yours today! 👇

https://bit.ly/3OMNnVO

Update from Simon E...

Notifications
Clear all

Update from Simon Elford of Brooklin

Page 2 / 4

PTC
 PTC
(@ptc)
Estimable Member

For many of us, the Brooklin Models are the Gold Standard of our collections. Restructuring is typically painful, but if it puts the firm on more solid ground, it should be supported. 

A lot of our hobby takes place on the secondary market, and this will have little impact with this method of acquisition. 

Yes, there are beautiful resin models on the market for those who have moved away from Brooklin Models for whatever reason, but they are NOT Brooklins. They have issues that we Brooklin Model collectors don't have to worry about.

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

@bob-jackman Bob; one possibility to consider is to email Mo Brown for advice about the aerial.  He has always been a person who has the collector's best interests at heart.

ReplyQuote
Ken Spear
(@kenspear)
Reputable Member

I am concerned with the news provide above regarding Brooklins financial woes in addition to their employees. Many form members and NABCC members have paid funds in full in advance for the Brooklin Packard convertible which I understand is not scheduled for delivery until November (8 months away). I assume that all these funds have been turned over to Brooklin to help meet cashflow requirements. Possibly someone can clarify this, or whether  our funds are being held by NABCC pending delivery in November. Some reassurance is needed. If Brooklin's efforts to turn around the company do not provide the results required and cashflow no longer can keep up with current expenses, something must give. In a worse case scenario, it could be the collectors who will lose.

This post was modified 3 months ago 2 times by Ken Spear

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Famed Member Registered

Thanks John I will try.

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

@bob-jackman Bob; John Bowyer of the BCC is a great person as well....another possibility.

ReplyQuote
renato bardi
(@renato-bardi)
Estimable Member

I read also that parts missing are now not available at the moment and I wonder what can we do if we need parts lost or broken.. 

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @kenspear

I am concerned with the news provide above regarding Brooklins financial woes in addition to their employees. Many form members and NABCC members have paid funds in full in advance for the Brooklin Packard convertible which I understand is not scheduled for delivery until November (8 months away). I assume that all these funds have been turned over to Brooklin to help meet cashflow requirements. Possibly someone can clarify this, or whether  our funds are being held by NABCC pending delivery in November. Some reassurance is needed. If Brooklin's efforts to turn around the company do not provide the results required and cashflow no longer can keep up with current expenses, something must give. In a worse case scenario, it could be the collectors who will lose.

Ken;  I appreciate your stated concerns but I wonder if this sad restructure is equally prompted by technological advances/changes in how Brooklin models are created; from design to completion.  Is it possible that certain positions became redundant?  Based only on my limited knowledge/impression of the main players in the company it seems to me more likely that they have, with some time now under their belts with Brooklin Models, assessed what is needed to run it most efficiently in order to ensure its survival.  If this is in fact the case, then from a strictly business perspective it may be positive news for long term Brooklin collectors.  Please don't misunderstand, I feel very badly indeed for the affected employees; especially the many long term ones.  This type of business reorg has become so prevalent in the last decade or so; a sad reality of the times we live in.

ReplyQuote
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Noble Member

@bob-jackman Simon, in a Facebook reply, did say that they will continue to send out missing or broken parts for any new purchase.  Please contact them again and let us know what happens. I was downsized last year so I know this is a difficult time for the employees.

ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Moderator Admin

I spoke with Simon regarding parts for recently issued models. They are readily available. Use this address "mail@brooklinmodels.com".

As far as funds are concerned, Brooklin is not broke but has restructured to remain viable for years to come. The funds collected by the NABCC remain with us until the models ship. In the unlikely event that they do not ship, refunds will be issued from the NABCC, not Brooklin. Perhaps we would all do better to hold off on speculation until the dust settles. The release of two new models with the knowledge that there are several projects currently in development should be encouraging to us all. Yes, there may be some minor disruption in production but these folks are committed to us as hobbyists and appear to be doing everything they can to provide the best replicas they are able to produce.  

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

ReplyQuote
Ken Spear
(@kenspear)
Reputable Member

@jkurvakas. Thanks John for the clarification. I believe that the right measures have been taken and hope that all Brooklin collectors will continue to support Brooklin throughout the transition.

Dave_Larsen, Ed Davis, Skip Johnson and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Curtis Parisi
(@parisi50)
Estimable Member

I'm very sad to see Amanda go. She has helped me out a few times with parts. All companies need someone as good as Amanda for customer service and and few have it. As Harvey said Amanda was the face of Brooklin for many of us collectors. Although I collect resin and white metal models, I prefer white metal and with the quality Brooklin has been attaining in recent times I certainly hope that they will continue to be a viable operation. Something about getting everything from China just doesn't appeal to me.

ReplyQuote
Mark Sweeney
(@whodeytink)
Reputable Member

Such a shame.  I only have a couple of Brooklin models but very much admire them.  I feel bad for the very talented employees who have lost their jobs.  I wish them the best as they reorganize.

ReplyQuote
John Quilter
(@john-quilter)
Prominent Member

Posted by: @bob-jackman

Jack Dodds, I echo your thoughts about Amanda. Unfortunately she was let go. I have already gotten a taste of how we, as customers, will be treated in the near future as I received the BBC Buick Riviera about a month ago and it was missing the radio antenna. I immediately wrote Amanda. After not receiving a reply I felt something was wrong and now I know. Being a Brooklin collector since the beginning when they were still in Canada, I now have mixed feelings about buying from a company that leaves me with a model with a piece missing due to their error. What do I do? What are my options? Send the model back? Ideas anyone?

Bob,  antennas are probably the easiest thing to create.   I have done many over the years.    I use a piece of silver colored wire commonly available from hardware stores in various gages to suit.  Cut off a suitable length, insert into the hole and affix with a very small dot of white glue.  Once dry these are actually more robust than the original chromed white metal ones that can be brittle. 

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

Ed Davis liked
ReplyQuote
Ed Glorius
(@ed-glorius)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @john-quilter

The latest email advert I got from Brooklin showed prices from £220 to £290.     Exquisite models for sure but not everybody can afford, or wants,  the Rolex watch of model cars.  Just sayin'.   And I'm a long time Brooklin collector but not these days.

The prices have become extremely high. I find it hard to justify the cost, especially since I have completely run out of room. 

Retired in Dunedin, Florida.

David H liked
ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Noble Member

@jack-dodds From what I heard last Sunday, it was "front office" staff getting the sacking. Production folks stayed on.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4
Share:

Cruise to the holiday weekend with this new arrival!

This is the 1961 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Open top Jade Metallic in 1:43 scale by Stamp Models.

Order yours today! 👇

https://bit.ly/3OMNnVO