14 Posts
8 Users
30 Likes
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

COFFEE, ELEVEN GUYS, AND BIRTHDAYS

Monday morning!  A new day!  Crisp and refreshing outside for my walk, my talk with God giving thanks, asking for patience, the ability to give kindness to those who need it, and prayers of gratitude for another chance to get it right.  I talk, God listens.  I've got comfort in that. 

McDonalds for my coffee is the destination, that will be the cap to this perfect morning.  As I sit in the booth, I'm across from a long table embracing eleven guys.  Observation hints to me that they are old guys, at least I sense a little older than me.  As I sip my coffee, that first gulp is hot, but oh so welcome!  My ears pick up the chatter from the long table, and I hear at least three or four different conversations taking place all at the same time. 

Certainly some stories are being shared, lot's of memories, and yea, some opinions too.  As I continue to nurse my coffee, I hear things like, "Back in '63, I bought a new Chevy Super Sport for $2,800...I'd have to move the decimal point a couple of times to buy one of those today".  Another guy blurts out, "I bought a 4-4-2 with three duces, it came like that".  A response from another comes, "I thought I was cool when I latched on to a '69 GTO".  He continued saying, I had to take the motor apart on that thing, and that was more fun than driving it".  The 4-4-2 guy blurted out, "no one on the road could catch me when I opened her up".  A new voice added, "that $2,800 ;you paid for that SS was probably your annual salary back then".  

A little farther down the table, another guy asks the guy next to him, "How's your wife doing after her hip replacement?".  A response came, "really good, she's 5 weeks out from it, so we're going to Branson this weekend for our 53rd anniversary".  

It was that "53rd" comment that threw my mind in to overdrive as I began to think about next month being fifty years since my first date with Lorraine.  I came home after that fun evening, sat on the end of my bed and heard The Carpenter's song, Top of the World playing in my mind.  I was on top of that world at that moment.  As I reflected on the date, I asked God, to make this last forever.  I was 21 years old, and I knew then and there that my future would be everything it could be, if Lorraine was at my side.  Honest, I knew it!  

My birthday, number 71 comes around this weekend, and is the case with such annual milestones, the question is always, "How did this happen?".  One day at a time of course.  Now my mind was racing faster than that guys 4-4-2 that was leaving other cars in the dust behind him.  Many more dates, let's get married, making the plans, where do we live, and the wedding day comes.  We stand together before God, our families and friends, and share our promise to take care of each other for forever.  I remember thinking, forever is a long time, but I'm in.  

Now here it is, my 71st birthday, fifty years removed from that first date, and with a smile on my face, forever is still happening!  My coffee was gone, I was relaxed knowing that I've been taken care of, both by Lorraine and by God.  As I began my walk home, my day was going to be forever.  I like that plan, but I want one more day than forever!  God are you listening?  Dumb question...I know you are!  I love my morning coffee.  Smile  

COFFEE

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

Pete Rovero, Moe Parr, John Kuvakas and 3 people reacted
Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Noble Member

Very nice. I could not have said it any better. Thank you for that story. If I lived near you, I would join you for morning coffee.

Ed Davis
Inverness, Illinois, USA

ReplyQuote
Frank Reed
(@frank)
Famed Member

☕️👍

Frank Reed
Chesapeake, VA

John Kuvakas reacted
ReplyQuote
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @ed-davis

Very nice. I could not have said it any better. Thank you for that story. If I lived near you, I would join you for morning coffee.

And I'd be thrilled to have you join me.  

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

You have a great and healthy routine there George.  It's always good to stop to remember/consider/appreciate the positive things we have in life and compare our lives to those millions upon millions of poor souls in this world who have so little.  Our problems and concerns begin to pale......

ReplyQuote
Moe Parr
(@moe-parr)
Famed Member

Inspiring, George! Great sentiment.

Barry Levittan
Long Island, NY

ReplyQuote
Frank Reed
(@frank)
Famed Member

George, heard this the other day, …🎶

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8djrcxStdMs

Frank Reed
Chesapeake, VA

ReplyQuote
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@frank, great song.  But not sure how it applies to today's positive and reassuring memory of being together.

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

ReplyQuote
Frank Reed
(@frank)
Famed Member

@georgeschire The sentiment of the song is similar in my hearing particularly the line 

Sweeten my coffee with a morning kissSoften my dreams with your sighsTell me you'll love me for a million yearsThen if it don't work outThen if it don't work outThen you can tell me goodbye

a million years is pretty close to forever if not being too literal.  

Frank Reed
Chesapeake, VA

ReplyQuote
John Napoli
(@carsman1958)
Famed Member

George what a great story and inspiration.

John Kuvakas reacted
ReplyQuote
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @carsman1958

George what a great story and inspiration.

Thank you!  Having faced the possibility of almost losing my princess to cancer in 2020, I cherish her more than ever.  For awhile during that time, I could do no more than hold her hand, as she was on a ventilator, unable to talk, and highly medicated while going through chemotherapy...I prayed hard that God wouldn't let her be in any pain.  And that, if He needed her, it was okay to take her, assuring myself and God through tears flowing down my cheeks...that I'd be okay.  Of course I wanted her to be healthy again and be cured, but my belief in God that His plan was the one that I (we) always have to always have faith in.  After that horrific year with not only her cancer, but Covid-19 thrown in for good measure, the old saying, "One day at a time", is forever true for me/us.  She is still with me, cancer free.  We pray forever.  

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

Pete Rovero, John Kuvakas, David H and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

George you have a wonderful way with words and expressing your thoughts. I meet every Saturday morning for breakfast with my car buddies. I started this about 16 years ago and it is a wonderful experience.

ReplyQuote
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @bob-jackman

George you have a wonderful way with words and expressing your thoughts. I meet every Saturday morning for breakfast with my car buddies. I started this about 16 years ago and it is a wonderful experience.

Bob, thank you for the kind compliment.  I hope you realize that your meeting with your car buddies for breakfast every Saturday, it's as good as being in Heaven.  Smile Makes me wish we lived closer, I'd enjoy joining you and your friends. 

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

ReplyQuote
Pete Rovero
(@pete-rovero)
Famed Member

@bob-jackman 

I'm part of a "car guys lunch group".  I was invited to join the group 4 years ago.  Not sure about how long it's been going on, but it's at least 10 years.  We meet every Wednesday for lunch in the host's garage, and usually have between 8-12 participants.  The standard lunch fare is a large Costco pepperoni pizza and the appropriate number of hot dog combos, but the menu changes occasionally depending on who's buying that week.  I agree with you, it's a wonderful experience and something I look forward to!

John Kuvakas, Jack Dodds, Jeff G and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: