NEW ORPHANS PIC

5 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Just added a brand new Ken Zylla painting to my car room wall.  This is a favorite because it features all of the ORPHANS.  I remember fondly a Forum discussion some years back regarding Orphan Cars.  This is the last car painting that Mr. Zylla did before he died at age 82 in 2017.  My print is #296 of 9600.  I was very excited to get it.  

New Orphan Cars Picture

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

John Kuvakas reacted
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Noble Member

You have a good memory George. As I recall, I duplicated those orphans: the Hudson, Kaiser, Edsel, Rambler, Studebaker & Packard in 1/18 scale. I had to cheat a bit on the Rambler by using a Nash Metro. No 1/18 full-size late 50's Nash exists, not even in resin. There's some nice models and large-scale promos though.

Nice painting, congrats.

ReplyQuote
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @chris

You have a good memory George. As I recall, I duplicated those orphans: the Hudson, Kaiser, Edsel, Rambler, Studebaker & Packard in 1/18 scale. I had to cheat a bit on the Rambler by using a Nash Metro. No 1/18 full-size late 50's Nash exists, not even in resin. There's some nice models and large-scale promos though.

Nice painting, congrats.

I do have a good memory for stuff like this, but usually can't remember what I did yesterday. 

With regard to the "Orphans" discussion here on the Forum a few years ago, I recall that there was some debate as to what constituted a car being an Orphan. 

My contention (at the time) was that Plymouth, DeSoto, Mercury, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, and Edsel were NOT Orphans because their parent companies were still in business.  The basis for my opinion on that was that a child is not an orphan if his parents are still alive.  Thus General Motors (for example) being the parent company to Pontiac and Oldsmobile, did not make either car an orphan. 

But regardless of how "Orphan" is described when it comes to cars, it was a fun discussion.  I've since mellowed and go with the consensus that all the cars listed above are indeed Orphans.  

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

ReplyQuote
Moe Parr
(@moe-parr)
Famed Member

Fantastic, George, I LOVE it!

What size is it, unframed? And where did you find it available for sale? Thanks!

Barry Levittan
Long Island, NY

ReplyQuote
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @moe-parr

Fantastic, George, I LOVE it!

What size is it, unframed? And where did you find it available for sale? Thanks!

Thanks Barry, it's pretty cool.  It is 30.5 in. x 18.5 in. unframed.  I found it at a nostalgia show in Hastings, MN. 

Of the old car framed photos I now have in my car room, this one has become my favorite. 

And LOL, this won't be hard to believe (knowing that I'm and Oldsmobile lover), the first car I spotted on it as I approached the booth, was the '56 Oldsmobile in front.  Smile Then realizing that all the cars in the painting were "Orphans", it was a no-brainer from there.  Plus, I knew it would look great in my car room.  

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

ReplyQuote
Share: