Beauty Under The Skin... [PIC]

15 Posts
7 Users
36 Likes
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

One of my absolute favorite display pieces is this mixed media masterpiece, the 1931 Mercedes Benz SSKL Mille Miglia with its deleted German Racing White finish, polished and clear coated to lay bare all 1885 parts identifying all the different metals, woods and leather it was made from. It was a limited edition commemorating CMC's 15th anniversary in 2010.

The Mercedes SSK, designed by Ferdinand Porsche, was known as the "White Elephant" due to its size, power and weight. As a counter to the more aggressive competition from Alfa Romeo and Bugatti, holes were drilled throughout the substructure where safe to knock off a good 275 lbs. Thus, the SSKL was born. With minimal support from Mercedes due to the crippling Depression, Rudolf Caracciola won a shocking victory at the Mille Miglia that year as the first non-Italian car to triumph at that event. So unhappy were the Italian fans that subsequently, many German entrants painted their cars in Italian Red to avoid having the locals throw rocks at them.

SSKLCMC 029
SSKLCMC 036 001
SSKLCMC 067
SSKLCMC 027 001
SSKLCMC 065 001
SSKLCMC 042
SSKLCMC 059 002
SSKLCMC 062 001
SSKLCMC 022
SSKLCMC 038
SSKLCMC 040
SSKLCMC 043
SSKLCMC 045 1
SSKLCMC 046
SSKLCMC 051 001
SSKLCMC 049
SSKLCMC 024
SSKLCMC 025
SSKLCMC 055 001
SSKLCMC 076
SSKLCMC 030
SSKLCMC 118
SSKLCMC 103 001
SSKLCMC 101 001

Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Illustrious Member

Wow, fine pictures of this sensational diecast model. Really superb 1/18 !

ReplyQuote
Larry kemling
(@larry-kemling)
Noble Member

An absolutely stunning model,but then that seems to be CMCs way of doing things!

ReplyQuote
Gavin
(@gavin)
Noble Member

amazingly detailed model.

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member

Absolutely beautiful, outside and in. What a treasure to own. Great post Rich.

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Illustrious Member

A model-maker's model. Aside from being cast in solid gold, there's really nothing that could improve this one. A delight for the eye, and part of a rare group of 1/18 replicas that is truly better appreciated through a camera lens rather than the naked eye.  It's virtually impossible to become bored while looking at this art piece.

Superb photos Rich, thanks!

ReplyQuote
Larry kemling
(@larry-kemling)
Noble Member

found one on eBay 
Priced at $1’178.00 +$85 shipping I still wouldn’t argue…..if I had that kinda scratch!😂

This post was modified 1 year ago 2 times by Larry kemling

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Illustrious Member

@larry-kemling ...all things considered, that's actually a decent price.  I've seen $4,000-$5,000 for other CMCs and just last week, a "junk"  Exoto Jaguar SOLD for over $2,000!  The green body had diecast-cancer...  literally, over $2,000.00 for a 1/18 replica that WILL ultimately disintegrate. 🙄 🙄

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@larry-kemling CMC still has 2 left and selling them for €898,00 which they marked up 3X what they originally sold for... and still cheaper than eBay. Amazing.

ReplyQuote
Marty Johnson
(@marty-johnson)
Noble Member

DSC09177
DSC09174
DSC09183
DSC09176
DSC09182
DSC09185

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Illustrious Member

...I do like this painted one better because, of course, it's more accurate. 

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@chris Yeah, but mine was only $15 with some assembly required. LOL

28M B SSK 001
28M B SSK 014 001
28M B SSK 015 001
28M B SSK 008
28M B SSK 019

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Illustrious Member

...you overpaid.  LoL 😀 

Talk about the definition of "contrast!"   It's not that your $15 model is all that terrible but rather, your "$1,500 model"  is that spectacular!

(...as always, I appreciate your subtle weathering)

Coincidently, I had just sent this pic to a friend, explaining the labor-intensive process of enhancing, spoke-by-spoke, MCC's 1/18 Model A rims and how adding a touch of "rust" (weathering) adds to the realism.

IMG 0551

This post was modified 1 year ago 2 times by Christopher Moroni

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

There's rust and then there's RUST. I've use everything from subtle washes, to powdered pastels, to paint washed baking soda. That looks great on the wheel but with that degree of rust, the rest of the model doesn't really go with it. Now the rest of the model needs to lose its pristine look to 'justify' the that degree of rust on the wheel.

John Kuvakas reacted
ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Illustrious Member

@rich-sufficool I agree completely. That ONE wheel (you'll notice the others have not been re-worked ) was just a re-spoke demonstration/weathering exercise.

Will I ever "re-spoke"  the remaining 4 rims?   

Then, will I ever "re-spoke"  the other three 1/18 MCC Model As I own....12 more rims? 

- 🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄 

ReplyQuote
Share: